Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearwire vs Digiweb

• 19-09-2006 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

I live in the Dublin 6 area and need to get broadband installed in the next couple of weeks. Which of the above would you guys recommend as the best option?.Ive read that clearwire can be very slow in the evening time and i have heard very little about digiweb. any advice much appreciated.Ntl and eircom not possible at the moment. Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Digiweb metro has a much better reputation overall but you may have to go with Clearwire if you have no line of sight to their mast. Also consider NTL cable BB .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Clearwire and Digiweb are like apples and oranges. Two quite different products and which one is best depends on your needs. If you only want web browsing and email then Clearwire may do. It's certainly cheap and requires no LOS or aerial. Connection speeds seem to be very random though. However, if you want to download large files (even over http), use P2P, online gaming or VOIP, then Clearwire is not for you. Metro would be better in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭ronanp

I'm on clearwire and at the moment i've to set my browser to not show images or i'd never get a ****ing webpage downloaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

I find Clearwire O.K... but I dont use it for anything more exciting than general browsing...

Can you use Skype with Clearwire??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭DamoVOTF

I use Skype with Clearwire and for gaming.

Gaming pings arent great, it doesnt seem capabale of handling any large amounts of upload information (and I aint talking crazy amounts of data).

Skype is ok, some clutter but not unuseable, then again I have never used skype on a normal broadband service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Skype even works on Dialup. It's adaptive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

you can get skype to work, but the quality, can be real bad

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Small hijack in progress......

Does Clearwire work anywhere? My sister-in-law is living in the back end of Mayo and has a max 9kbps on dial-up - unbelievably slow.
    Would Clearwire be an option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

SwampThing wrote:
    My sister-in-law is living in the back end of Mayo ...
    Would Clearwire be an option?
    Not unless she moves. According to the Clearwire website, Clearwire is available in:

Dublin: South Dublin North Dublin Swords
    Kildare: Maynooth Naas Newbridge
    Galway: Galway City
    Louth: Drogheda Dundalk
    Waterford: Waterford City
    Wicklow: Bray
    Carlow: Carlow Town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

and even then....
    they say galway city but from what i can see on their "map" they really mean is this small lil area just outside the city centre where its a majority of factories and office buildings over housing extates and apartments!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭DamoVOTF

today my Clearwire connection reached an all time low, of having a Quality of service of 5% and an upload rate lower than a 28k modem.

Really happy with the 50 euro I spend a month on this.

Advertisement