Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evaluating websites

Options
  • 19-09-2006 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭

I am tasked with reviewing about 20 sports club websites, with a view to producing a report that compares them against each other, details what they do, and helps to identify "best practice" - the idea being that this "best practice" can be used to improve my clients site.

Does anyone have any links to 'standard' web evaluation / scoring criteria that I can use as benchmarks?

Also, what are the best online 'tools' for assessing search ratings, word density, etc, etc.

Are there any other useful tips anyone can offer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

the google toolbar can show you the Page Rank of the websites
    also run them thru a html validator to determine if the code is cosher
    you should test the speed at which they download to the browser too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The firefox webmaster toolbar probably has all the necessary tests you need

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

A few Firefox extensions might help, such as :

HTML Validator. Displays a small icon in the bottom right of the browser window which lets you know if the HTML validates or not. Also displays a list of errors and warnings when you 'View Page Source'.

and/or

Webmaster Toolbar. Does lots of useful things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

blacknight wrote:
    The firefox webmaster toolbar probably has all the necessary tests you need
    Well, it has all the main tools!

Google will help you with Sitemaps, or "Google Webmaster Tools"

Do a search for SEO tools on google, websites will have analysers which will be very good.. just a matter of finding them websites!

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

nevf wrote:
    Google will help you with Sitemaps, or "Google Webmaster Tools"

While that may help you to improve your site's SEO I don't see how that will help to evaluate it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭vito

Perhaps what you are looking for is usabilibity scorecards?

All the tools mentioned above are great if you are evaluating the technical issues but from what I read you are looking at evaluating the websites from a user perspective?

You could try a google search to look for comparative analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭Genghis

Absolutely right Vito. The Usability stuff is the 'must have', the the technical stuff is 'nice to add on'.

Will do search for Usability scorecards. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

http://www.seochat.com/seo-tools/ has a lot of handy tools for this kind of work - good luck with it!

Advertisement