Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone out there bidding on houses?

Options
  • 19-09-2006 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi - was just wondering if anyone out there is looking for, and bidding on, second hand houses in Dublin at the moment, and if so are you still seeing prices being bid up to way above the asking price?

I was looking in Dublin from this time last year until about May this year and anytime I looked at a house, it always went at least 10% above the estate agents asking price. I'm just interested to see if that's still the case....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

sapper wrote:
    I'm just interested to see if that's still the case....

Why don't you just ring up an estate agent and enquire about a house?

:.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

In fairness nereid, why would anyone trust an estate agent on this?

The higher people are prepared to bid above asking price, the better for the agent since they work on comission. They're not likely to tell the OP to bid anything less than the 10% over asking that it was this time last year now are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Sleepy wrote:
    In fairness nereid, why would anyone trust an estate agent on this?

Now, Sleepy, in fairness, the OP specifically asked:
    and if so are you still seeing prices being bid up to way above the asking price?

All I suggested was that the OP ring an Estate agent and ask to place an offer on a house.
    So for example if there is some place listed at €330000, and he rings in enquiring about it, all he has to do is say something like, "I see you have a place #43 the grove for sale, I would like to go and view it if it was still in my price range".
    They reply with "yeah, it is still at €330" or perhaps "no, it has now a bid of €340k".

You get the idea.

The OP didn't want a scientific analysis of the property market, he simply wanted anecdotal evidence if bids were above or below the asking price of a house. The best way of finding out is to simply ring up and ask - like I suggested.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

sapper wrote:
    Hi - was just wondering if anyone out there is looking for, and bidding on, second hand houses in Dublin at the moment, and if so are you still seeing prices being bid up to way above the asking price?

I was looking in Dublin from this time last year until about May this year and anytime I looked at a house, it always went at least 10% above the estate agents asking price. I'm just interested to see if that's still the case....
    Basically yes, but the first time buyers market is a bit slower from what I've been told. May be interest rate increases are beginning to bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

I am at moment and the price has gone €20,000 over asking price so far.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

Likewise for me, house I'm looking at is €40k over asking. But I think it due to a great location - Near seaside.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭giggles

I think there is a slow down, but on saying that I've just had an offer accepted on a house and it's 8K higher than asking price.

There was one other couple bidding against me so it pushed the price up from my original offer of 3K over the guide price.

I've been looking around for a while now and I'm amazed at the difference in house prices over the last few months. I was mortgage approved in Feb for 260K, but because I've taken so long I had to re-apply again last week and was only mortgage approved for 250K (despite my salary increasing in the mean time). This is because interest rates have increased 3 times since my first application.

My next door neighbours house (in Dublin) is for sale at the moment - it's been on the market for 3 weeks with no offers! It probably would have sold quite quickly in previous months.

Advertisement