Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Medical for new job

• 19-09-2006 11:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have jsut been sucessful in getting a new job for a really cool Americal company in Dublin. A friend who used to work for the company has told me that he had to take a medical.

As it stands I am waiting for my contract to come through and I start at the end of the month. At which point of the interview process would you be told you must take a medical, no mention of it was made at any point.

The reason I am anxious about this is I would be an occasional drug user. The last time I took drugs was 1 month ago whilst away for the weekend, I took Cocaine and Ketamine. I am unsure how long these stay in your system and I dont want to do a search in work.

I woudl really hate for something I did before I even got called for interview to stop me getting my ideal job. I really am up the walls about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭conky_05

dont think you'll be tested for illegal drugs unless the job involves operating heavy machinery. also, from what i gather, they cannot test you for illegal drugs unless they state they are doing so. also, the drugs you mentioned dont stay in your system too long ( i.e not as long as marijuana )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I can't remember about Ireland but drug tests as part of the physical for most jobs in the US are very common. I am unsure how long those drugs stay in your system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Cheers for the feedback, I think the person must be telling me porkies. Or else maybe they do spot checks like they do for footballers. Maybe they test in America but I cannot see me having to give a urine sample for a customer service role, sounds like balony!!

Spoke to my sis and she maintains coke flushes from system pretty quickly. Your right think its Marajuna that stay in your system a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

You've nothing to worry about man honestly. Marijuana does indeed stay in your system longer and a month is more then enough for that.

Relax and have a joint :D

Only jokin don't ban me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

my friend got one recently and the doctor told her she was only testing her for diabetes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

This American corporation may be under the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988. If so, they will drug test. There's a chance that your month old exposure to drugs will not show on their panels. One thing for certain, if you end up employed with them, it would not be wise for you to continue in the future with recreational drug use. Many of these American corporations also do random drug tests, or tests when there is a suspicion of drug use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I would never do a medical test for any company.
    Where do these Amerikan companies get off ?
    Who do they think they are ?

Believe me - I have told many companies (+ excellent muny) to
    shove their jobs for a lot less !

I always managed to find something better.

Where's your self-respekt, man ? Are U going to let
    those trollops push U around or are U going to join
    me, Hugo and de Iranian F*ck*r with the 2 finger
    salute ?

As for the Drugs : drugs are dangerous. People have died
    or been brain-damaged from ecstacy, for example.
    U do NOT need drugs to have a good time. Why keep waking
    up with a sore head ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Cocaine will stay in your system for 3 days im not sure about ketamine search on line, but dont worry about the coke

Big Knox wrote:
    You've nothing to worry about man honestly. Marijuana does indeed stay in your system longer and a month is more then enough for that.

Relax and have a joint :D

Only jokin don't ban me!!!

WRONG if they test your hair roots they can check for dope, as the THC chemicals absorb into your cells I think, and it can be traced through hair roots

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭conky_05

the Guru wrote:
    WRONG if they test your hair roots they can check for dope, as the THC chemicals absorb into your cells I think, and it can be traced through hair roots

course they wont do a hair root test !

fact is, in ireland, most companies test for diabetes etc. you are in your right to ask someone what they are testing for before they test you. i.e if it's a drug test, you'll know about it.

OP, you should just enquire next time you talk to them, what does the medical involve, and what are they testing for. you are in EVERY right to know.

also, owuldnt worry bout the coke. that's right about the 3 days.....doesnt last long in ur system at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I got a medical for my new job the other month. I wasn't told until after the interview. They took blood and urine samples and all the usual - blood pressure, etc.... we also had to say how many units of alcohol we drank and whether we've ever smoked or taken drugs.

I don't take drugs so i wasn't worried but my mate who does ticked "No" on the form even though they would have been in his body and still got the job, i'm not sure why they didn't come up, perhaps they're just inefficent...

Under the "Do you take drugs?" Yes or No boxes it said "If you lie the company reserves the right to fire you/take away the job offer"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Tick "no" in the "have you ever done...." box. you've NOTHING to worry about.

i was the same as you. was going for a job and was ****tig it. did in-depth research from a total of about 30 sites and took the worst case scenario figures for each drug from all sites to be on the safe side and discovered that

coke and pills - detectable up to 3 days but longer i.e. a week (max) if you're hosing it up every hour of every day.

ket - max 2 weeks with chronic usage

hash/grass are the worst. chronic, daily usage detectable up to 8 weeks (max) if you're smoking all day every day.

these are the figures for urine testing.

They don't use blood cause the levels aren't as detectable and hair testing costs a fortune (think it's about $300 per test).

you've nothing to worry about if you havn't taken anything in a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 CrazyGirl

loads of orange- or cranberry juice should clean out your body :D but you shouldn't have to worry cause you haven't done anything in a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dude, why are you doing coke? Theres enough a**holes in the country as it is.

No poppy seed bread or bagels either.:eek: A friend of mine had breakfast with me the other day before his interview, they hired him and he had to go straight for the drug test, guess what showed up. I kid you not. Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I work in the pharmaceutical company (all have been US based) and the medicals they do are quite extensive (the same medical applies for every employee in the plant, be you an operator or a receptionist). I was made sign a disclaimer saying that they could test my urine/ blood for illegal substances. Had no problem signing as I don't do drugs, probably wouldn't have got the job if I had. That's the american way of thinking, they want an (illegal) drug free zone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭txt_mess

Hey read your post and your friend is right , I work for a large US corp they have there own medical center ( well floor in a buidling ) and getting hired into certain positions they will make you go for a medical and drug test.

I'm not talking about fork lift driving just plain old permenant contracts for IT positions when you go in for the medical they ask you to sign a form for the urine test which if you read it says if they find anything illegal they will pass it on to the guards.

On the up side you can refuse the drug test and just go for the medical bit but to be honest I do not know if that then affects them hiring you. All I'd say is read everything before you sign anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

A lot of companies test - my friend was working for a french company for the summer and had to undergo a drugs test as part of her medical. So it's not just the american companies that test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

The good news is, from my own experience, if they offer you the medical you pretty much have the job.... They're spending money on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

NortSoide wrote:

salute ?

:confused:

did your auld fella play football with your head as a child?

• Advertisement

Ruu wrote:
    No poppy seed bread or bagels either.:eek: A friend of mine had breakfast with me the other day before his interview, they hired him and he had to go straight for the drug test, guess what showed up. I kid you not. Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

has your friend been watching Seinfeld :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

coke and ecstasy are water soubile and are out of your system in 3 days. drink water like mad man and you'll speed up the explusion.

cannabis is oil based soall thewter in the world won't help you.
    I was told that drinking cider vingear flushes the cannibas out of your system.
    I tried it and it is fu8cking awful.
    Anyway the cider vingear theory was confirmed by a matire student in college who served with the US navy in hawaii and said they smoked and smoked over there and always passed the drugs test.

the Guru wrote:
    has your friend been watching Seinfeld :-)

Hehe I haven't seen that episode. I was talking to a fella thats in the US Army and he mentioned that military drug tests are that strict to pick up poppyseed bagels but wasn't sure about ones for job interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

I had to do one years ago 3 days after a weeks holiday with the lads - if you know what I mean. Got the job - bish bash bosh. Don't worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

If they use the same test they do in the US, it is not extensive.

The urine cup they use for the test is partitioned in many sections and they sort of shake it a bit to saturate each partition.

Each partition has a strip (Much like a pregnancy test strip) and they look for one colour or the other to appear after about 3 minutes. If it tests positive, they would likely tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

NortSoide wrote:

salute ?

medicals are just common thesedays for multinationals and the like..especially if their going to be giving you health cover as part of the benefits...and if they have a policy of daying your family a years salary if you die while working for them they have every right to know if you are fully medically fit to do the job.... as for the drugs if you havent taken any in last 2 weeks or so they should have left your system by now

Advertisement