Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Anywhere

Options
  • 19-09-2006 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

With the availability of 3G PCIMA cards and VOIP services, is it now possible to do everything, anywhere?

For people who may be constantly on the go, what is the best solution for them to have unlimited broadband access as well as a fixed phone number that they can make and receive calls through.

Is it just a matter of having a laptop, paying €49 per month to vodafone for their 3G card and then signing up to a VOIP service who will give you your own number you can take and make calls through?

What's the best choice of the services out there, the best way to get unlimited broadband and cheap calls anywhere?

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Vodafone have stated on their site that they're going to use traffic shaping to f**k up* VoIP. They want you making calls on your phone, as that is their core business after all.

* - technical term.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What exactly is traffic shaping? Is there any way to get around it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Ok, I just read the jist of it there, thanks.

Surely there would be software to help you get around it and to allow you to use VOIP though?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Not really. The traffic shaping occurs on Vodafone's network, not on your computer. You could try to use VoIP through a VPN or something but I doubt performance would be great.

• Advertisement

That's pretty annoying. Kind of spoils the plans of not needing landline to make landline calls :(

Are other companies (broadband companies) going to be offering the PCIMA option in the future perhaps? I know there is wireless such as clearwire etc, but it's not the same.

Advertisement