Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance

Options
  • 19-09-2006 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Friends;

Is the car insurance value related to the engine size of the car???

I came to Ireland recently; and I have a valid license in two non Europe country for 10 years. I am looking for a Car insurance company that would value these years and give me a good deal on a Car Insurance..

any one can help me in this??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi, yep, engine size is certainly a cost factor in insurance here. I recommend www.brittoninsurance.com. I'm not sure about your overseas experience, I'm sure they will take it into consideration. For me, they were the cheapest after a dozen or so calls to other companies:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Im not sure if non eu licenses are hounored here so you may have to apply for a theory test and get a provisional irish licence.One of the big factors in reducing your premium apart from old age is No Claims Bonus,again i would be unsure if a non european ncb would be accepted here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mariovwgolf

I pay 3300 a year for my VW Golf 1.4L - I recently got a quote for a BMW 316 1.6L and was quoted €2300???? Make Sense? No it doesnt.
    People may not know not only does age, location, or engine come into it but also your Job.
    Im driving 6 months so dont think that im driving like a year and thats why - its because my first quote and when i took the insuracne i was in retail - now im working for a bank it seems to be a grand cheaper.... So while the girl on the phone, was AXA by the way was talking - i proceeded to call them mising bastards! It got me thinking - Are they frauding us as much as we think?

So, i proceeded to go online and get a quote on an english website using my aunts address in manchester - put down everything truthfully - no noclaims only driving a few months so fourth - i got a quote of 725 pounds....#
    I dont think i need to tell you that 725 doesnt turn into 2300eur through the exhange rate - Axa hope we see it that way....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

People may not know not only does age, location, or engine come into it but also your Job.

So, i proceeded to go online and get a quote on an english website using my aunts address in manchester - put down everything truthfully - no noclaims only driving a few months so fourth - i got a quote of 725 pounds....#
    I dont think i need to tell you that 725 doesnt turn into 2300eur through the exhange rate - Axa hope we see it that way....

Sigh. Do you have any idea how insurance or business in general works?

Yes, you are judged on your profession. For instance, if you are a gigging musician you are deemed to be more of a risk than a bank clerk. The insurance companies don't pluck these figures out of thin air, every aspect of insurance is based on statistics....how likely you are to crash if you drive for a living, how many Renault Clio's crashed in the last year, how much driving experience do you have....it's called risk analysis.

And obviously you got a cheaper quote with a UK address, there are less than 10 insurance companies in Ireland; in the UK there are a huge amount. They are battling for your business, hence the price is cheaper. Have you heard of 'competition'?

Advertisement