Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Digiweb Metro adding wireless router

• 19-09-2006 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi all,
    I recently moved into a house which has digiweb metro broadband installed in it. We want to share this connection between everyone in the house. The modem is installed in the master bedroom and the person staying there uses it connected directly to her ethernet port. We got a Belkin Wireless Ethernet Bridge 54mbps http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=322324&view=detailed
    to use with it.
    This is configured properly as far as i can see as we can all use the connection wirelessly however when the other person connects into the wired ports on the back it doesn't work and stops the wireless part from being used.
    Any ideas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

This is configured properly as far as i can see as we can all use the connection wirelessly however when the other person connects into the wired ports on the back it doesn't work and stops the wireless part from being used.
    Any ideas.
    Is the wired connection using a static IP address that's conflicting with the router somehow? I don't think that there's any client software used to "log in" to Metro, but if there is, that could be the problem.

Or it could simply be that the Belkin is a POS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 theblaahead

the desktop is configured for dhcp and gets an ip address from the proper range of the wireless router - 192.168.2.* so i don't think its an ip conflict. The router gets the proper ip address from the modem aswell it just seems like it can't share out the wired connection properly. Can't make any sense of it. I think the easiest thing may be to get a pci wireless card for the desktop and allow all the house to use the wireless connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There is no logon.

The Belkin should have a separate ethernet port not part of line of ordinary ports, if not it is not an Ethernet router. What you describe sounds like an ADSL router and the metro modem simply plugged into one of the ordinary Ethernet ports.

You can only use a Router with NO ADSL on it. Linksys, Netgear and Dlink all make models identical to the the ADSL versions with ADSL port replaced by a SEPARTE RJ45 ethernet WAN port.

I don't recommend Belkin. I have never seen a non-ADSL "Ethernet WAN" Belkin router but they may exist.

Unless a router has a separate WAN ethernet port it won't work for ANY non-ASDL service (Ripwave, Breeze, Metro, NTL cable and ISDN Ethernet TA etc). A router with a separate WAN ethernet port can ONLY use ADSL via a separate ADSL modem.

The product you bought is an Ethernet bridge. It does not route at all. It simply connects two ethernets together.
    They are really ment to be sold in pairs and then a pair of PS2s or Xboxs can network game wirelessly.

watty wrote:
    The product you bought is an Ethernet bridge. It does not route at all. It simply connects two ethernets together.
    They are really ment to be sold in pairs and then a pair of PS2s or Xboxs can network game wirelessly.
    Good catch - the thing only has one RJ45 port, so plugging in a PC and the wireless modem at the same time would be a bit difficult :D.

While you could spend €25 for a wireless adapter for the PC, you'd be far, far better off buying a proper wireless router for an additional €20 and selling the thing you've got to make up the difference.

(And Belkin do make non-ADSL equipment, but as a general rule of thumb, avoid Belkin - you'll be happier in the long run).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306148
    Something like the above would be what you need-although I think you can get it for slightly less in PC World at the moment.
    Kippy

• Advertisement

sorry guys forgive my stupidy, that link i gave to komplett is not the device i have, i have this one, its a Belkin Wireless Cable/DSL Router http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=136493#. I have had plenty of problems with Belkin before myself, our landlady actually came back with the router from pc world, they told her it would work grand.
    So seeing this can you see any reason why the wired part doesn't work.
    thanks for all your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

So when a computer is connected in to one of the ethernet ports nothing at all works, the wired and wireless parts, is this right? If so, make sure the cable connecting the router to the PC is a straight through cable and not cross over. Some devices automatically detect the type of cable, but I have a Belkin router too and it doesn't.

yeah thats right nothing works when the pc is connected. i've got a straight-through cable here in work so ill give it a go at home later. thanks

Yes it is a DSL router. It only routes the DSL port, there is NO ethernet WAN port.

As mentioned earlier you need a NON_dsl router, the ADSL port is replaced with a SEPARATE ethernet "WAN" port. The model you have will never act as a router on ANY NON-dsl services.

Nothing to do with cable type. The Cable Modem will only hand out one IP address. That why yoy need a router. That product all the Ethernet ports are part of same network. No WAN ethernet port.

watty wrote:
    Yes it is a DSL router. It only routes the DSL port, there is NO ethernet WAN port.
    The F5D7230-4 isn't a DSL router.

• Advertisement

Why the OP call it a DSL Router?

Maybe not plugging the ethernet into WAN socket then.

watty wrote:
    Why the OP call it a DSL Router?
    He called it a "Cable/DSL Router" - in other words, a broadband router.
    Maybe not plugging the ethernet into WAN socket then.

Could be. Someone said recently that you can have 3 devices plugged into an NTL modem, so if the cable connection was plugged into a LAN port instead of the WAN port, it's possible that the device is just being used as a LAN switch, rather than a router. And when the PC plugs in as well, there are too many things connected for everything to work.

Advertisement