Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

When not to rubber neck!

Options
  • 19-09-2006 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭

I don't know if any of yous saw the 4 car pile-up on the N32 this morning but my Dad was in the Fiesta 2nd from the back the got horsed out of it by the Pajero. Luckily enough he's no injuries but the car is a write off. None of the other occupants in the other cars had any injuries either.

When I got to the scene though I parked up on the path across the road away from any traffic. I then carefully crossed the road to the scene of my Dads crash. I was talking to him when all of a sudden....BANG.....a rubber necker across the road had ran up the back of an Almera. So you can imagine how the traffic was affected after that!

So within the space of a half hour there was 2 incidents, 1 of them that could have easily been avoided. The chap in the Almera was taken away in an ambulance and neck brace.

But the main point I want to get across is, how even rubber necking can cause accidents!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Irish drivers are stupid for rubbernecking and holding up traffic. Even if it is in the opposing lanes of the damn motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Yep.

Witness the ferris wheel that occasionally appears just off the M50 near Liffey Valley every so often...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

blastman wrote:
    Yep.

Witness the ferris wheel that occasionally appears just off the M50 near Liffey Valley every so often...

It's like the TARDIS!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Seanie M wrote:
    Irish drivers are stupid for rubbernecking and holding up traffic. Even if it is in the opposing lanes of the damn motorway.

Unfortunately it's a worldwide phenomenon, not just an Irish thing. The only real solution is opaque barriers in the central reservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Agreed with Anan1

Glad your dad is okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Tis a fact of life alright.....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sure there are tailbacks daily along the M50 to view gardai who have pulled over hard shoulder drivers and more recently tailbacks due to peoples interest in seeing a Hymac at work! Yesterday, traffic had to slow to see the US style tow truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

It drives me mental, travelling north on the M50, just after the blanch exit the road rises to a crest of a hill, the south bound lane seems to have a black spot just there, and I would arrive at the crest in traffic at 5mph to a clear motorway ahead.All it takes is one joe to slow and look and everything slows to a crawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kbannon wrote:
    Yesterday, traffic had to slow to see the US style tow truck.
    Something like that would interest me :) but what I can't understand is when people go orgasmic and hit the brakes when they see a pheasant on the side of the road/field/ditch etc. WTF! it's just another bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

kbannon wrote:
    Yesterday, traffic had to slow to see the US style tow truck.
    Yesterday I saw that alright....is that the free tow service operating at the moment? Amd yes I did rubberneck but traffic was crawling anyway! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

God bless the rubberneckers !!

Interesting accident this morning at about 0700h where the N4 slips onto the M50 southbound - looked like a Dutch-registered artic had bullied a Renault 19 van thing upinto the grass verge (its nose was practically buried. The whole nearside of the can was scraped too. More probably the van had tried to bully the artic (instead of merging 1:1) and had come off worse.

Anyway... the main carriage way had practically come to a standstill as idiots stopped to watch the pretty truck and the not so pretty van. Left lots of room for the rest of us slipping onto the M50. Have never seen it so clear...

<twats>

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭conor_mc

kbannon wrote:
    Sure there are tailbacks daily along the M50 to view gardai who have pulled over hard shoulder drivers and more recently tailbacks due to peoples interest in seeing a Hymac at work! Yesterday, traffic had to slow to see the US style tow truck.

Yep, stuck in that the other day too.

Yesterday it was several orange straps that were hanging from the top of the new water tower near Finglas.... I swear to God, everybody had to slow down and look in case they missed the crazy stuntmen who were due to rappel from the top of the tower at any second..... oh no, wait, there was nobody up there.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Seanie M wrote:

Its a worldwide thing, was in the UK and the same thing where nearly 3 lanes had stopped to look at an accident on the other side of the road, traffic delays where mental

Then was in the US and the whole freeway was going no mile an hour while a few people decided to more or less stop to have a gander. Its not an irish problem it everywhere!! one of the girls from the US had a very funny name for them but I cant for the life of me remember it

you will have nosey f**ks in every country in the World

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Big Nelly wrote:

Then was in the US and the whole freeway was going no mile an hour while a few people decided to more or less stop to have a gander.

Agree totally. I was in Florida last year and the I4 was backed up for about 6 miles. Just crawling. Got to the spot at last to find out it was rubbernecking at a broken down car on the other side of the freeway... After that, the road was completely clear! Unbelievable.

Advertisement