Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keane - Under the Iron Sea

Options
  • 19-09-2006 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Don't care what anyone says, Keane are f*ckin class so they are! Wasn't so sure about this Album, as I liked the first one so much and thought lightening couldn't possibly strike twice, but I've been very pleasantly surprised.

Not every song on this album is a gem but there certainly are a few diamonds thrown in here. My favourite track is "Lay myself down"( may not even be the correct title but it starts with "I don't wanna be adored......". This song is so Beatle esq, yet so unique, it's hard to put into words. Deffo one of those songs that makes the hair stand up on the back or yer kneck and stir some deep emotions in the listener.

Next fave is "Bad Dream". I guess he's on about travelling up and down the country with the band and all the bad press they keep getting, in spite of , and perhaps because of, their success.

There are a few other great songs on there, "Crystal Ball" springs to mind, along with a few faintly annoying ones, but there really is something here for everyone. Quite frankly, if you can't admit to like'n at least ONE Keane song, even just a wee bit, then you've either not much taste in music or you're just not being honest with yourself! So, go on! F*ck the Naysayers who say Keane are just a shower of whining c*nts, don't go along with the crowd and admit to liking them, just this once!!!!:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,205 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

psharkey wrote:
    Next fave is "Bad Dream". I guess he's on about travelling up and down the country with the band and all the bad press they keep getting, in spite of , and perhaps because of, their success.

Bad Dream is based around The following W.B Yeats poem
    An Irish Airman Foresees His Death

I know that I shall meet my fate
    Somewhere among the clouds above:
    Those that I fight I do not hate,
    Those that I guard I do not love:
    My country is Kiltartan Cross,
    My countrymen Kiltartan's poor,
    No likely end could bring them loss
    Or leave them happier than before.
    Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
    Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
    A lonely impulse of delight
    Drove to this tumult in the clouds;
    I balanced all, brought all to mind,
    The years to come seemed waste of breath,
    A waste of breath the years behind
    In balance with this life, this death

As for the first track you mention, thats called hamburg song and is one of my favourites on the album too.

I like the new album, but much prefer their debut - i could listen to every song on their debut and i can't say the same for this one im afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Pipp

psharkey wrote:
    Don't care what anyone says, Keane are f*ckin class so they are! Wasn't so sure about this Album, as I liked the first one so much and thought lightening couldn't possibly strike twice, but I've been very pleasantly surprised.

Not every song on this album is a gem but there certainly are a few diamonds thrown in here. My favourite track is "Lay myself down"( may not even be the correct title but it starts with "I don't wanna be adored......". This song is so Beatle esq, yet so unique, it's hard to put into words. Deffo one of those songs that makes the hair stand up on the back or yer kneck and stir some deep emotions in the listener.

There are a few other great songs on there, "Crystal Ball" springs to mind, along with a few faintly annoying ones, but there really is something here for everyone. Quite frankly, if you can't admit to like'n at least ONE Keane song, even just a wee bit, then you've either not much taste in music or you're just not being honest with yourself! So, go on! F*ck the Naysayers who say Keane are just a shower of whining c*nts, don't go along with the crowd and admit to liking them, just this once!!!!:p

Hear Hear!!:D
    Keane are a real favourite of mine and I even travelled to London to see them live since they havent played here in yonks.
    The Lead singer Tom has gotten himself in a bit of bother there and theyve had to take some time off but Im sure theyll bounce back. Theyll more than likely play here at some stage and when they do Ill be up the front roaring my head off. That guy has some voice, hes fantastic live and they put on a great show.
    The second album is very good but very different from Hopes and Fears.
    The song your on about - Hamburg song is one of my favourites too, its supposedly about the friendship between the lead guy and the keyboardist.
    I love the last one on the CD - The Frog Prince, its just so magical or something.
    Anyway the whole album is a cracker and I play it very frequently and very loudly. Theres just *something* about them. I think theyre fab and Im not ashamed of it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Ballymun Bohs

This is a great album wasnt to sure about it at first but they are all great songs apart from Atlantic and Under The Iron Sea, other than that the rest are pretty good,its probably not as good as Hopes And Fears but its definately worth a listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dra1ocht

Definetly not as good as Hopes & Fears. The Piano was neglected in this new album.
    My fav. song is Hamburg Song.. Quality voice.. piano.. little involved but a lot gained!
    Unfortunate that one of them is a druggy. But there you go. Still quality music.. slightly Coldplay sided.. if i dare say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭psharkey

Hi lads,

Whoa! Great to see a few more kindred spirits up here on the boards. Think everyone's in agreement that Hamburg song is feckin' class!! As is most of the Album.....as for Tom bein' a druggie, sure isn't that always the way? Sure at least he has talent to go with it, not like some I could mention...........

Anyway, was wondering if any of you guys were musicains and if anyone would be interested in working with me on a few tracks? You can check out some songs at the links below.

http://paddysharkey123.bebo.com

http://www.myspace.com/paddysharkey

Let us know what you'se reckon will ye?

Email : paddysharkey@gmail.com

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭psharkey

Bad Dream is based around The following W.B Yeats poem

As for the first track you mention, thats called hamburg song and is one of my favourites on the album too.

I like the new album, but much prefer their debut - i could listen to every song on their debut and i can't say the same for this one im afraid.

That's pretty cool. I never would have put 2+2 together at all. Think old Yeatsie would have approved though eh? I reckon he would've!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

This cd is a big improvement to the debut.

I am not a big fan - but this is a pretty good record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Only a recent fan of their music, but I can't stop playing their tunes now.
    That hamburg song is my standout on the new album, with 'somewhere only we know' being my standout from the previous album.
    Quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The previous album was full of standout tunes - my personal favourite being 'Bedshaped'.. the last minute of that song gives me chills.

The new album's only real standout track for me was 'Leaving So Soon' and 'Crystal Ball' has grown on me.

The new album isn't bad but nowhere as good as 'Hopes And Fears' - and there's a too much filler on 'Under..' - practically the second half is filler besides 'Crystal Ball' and to a lesser extent 'The Hamburg Song' which i never really took a shine to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

psharkey wrote:
    That's pretty cool. I never would have put 2+2 together at all. Think old Yeatsie would have approved though eh? I reckon he would've!

Yes I am sure one of Ireland's greatest poets and one of the world's most beautiful writers was delighted a corny second rate songwriter got 'inspired' by one of his best works. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement