Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why won't God heal amputees?

Options
  • 19-09-2006 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

This is a really jarring question
    http://whydoesgodhateamputees.com/
    The website is repetitive and overly literalist but the central question is great.
    I always wondered "why are miracle cures always for diseases that might get better on their own?" but this way of asking the same question is much better.

Any similar questions that phrase common skeptical complaints in interesting ways?
    Or any thoughts on this in general?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I always wondered "why are miracle cures always for diseases that might get better on their own?"

Same applies to alternative medicine. Its only the wackjobs at the fringes of alternative medicine that claim cures for actual diseases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Calibos wrote:
    Same applies to alternative medicine. Its only the wackjobs at the fringes of alternative medicine that claim cures for actual diseases.
    To be fair to homeopaths they have been claiming that they have homeopathic anti-malarials.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5178488.stm

Back to the amputees site, I like it. It's simply put, but it makes its point strongly and repeatedly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> To be fair to homeopaths they have been claiming that they have homeopathic anti-malarials.

...and that shop on Duke street is selling them. I popped in there a few months ago and asked as nicely as I could. Yes, sirree, proof against everything. Though she went unaccountably vague and handwavey when I asked her what regulatory body had approved them, and how they'd been tested for effectiveness. I wonder how many people have headed off to Asia with a few bottles of colored water?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

cavedave wrote:
    Any similar questions that phrase common skeptical complaints in interesting ways?
    Or any thoughts on this in general?

Why the all powerful creator of the universe deems it appropriate to appear in a taco, an oil stain and a damp patch to a dozen random Mexicans but does not deign to appear to the billions of non-Christians around the world, nor does he show himself to others who desperately ask for a sign that he is there.

How about why he hasn't parted any seas or nuked any cities lately?
    robindch wrote:
    ...and that shop on Duke street is selling them. I popped in there a few months ago and asked as nicely as I could. Yes, sirree, proof against everything. Though she went unaccountably vague and handwavey when I asked her what regulatory body had approved them, and how they'd been tested for effectiveness. I wonder how many people have headed off to Asia with a few bottles of colored water?

I walk into shop. "Please give me something that will protect me from Malaria". Hands me magic water. I go to Thailand and get malaria.

Surely I can sue them and have them charged with wreckless endangerment or something?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> Surely I can sue them and have them charged with
    > wreckless endangerment or something?

Possible, but frankly, it's nicer not to catch malaria in the first place.

Actually, is anybody on for joining up and doing something about this? The advertizing standards authority must have some line on fraudulent ads or advice? What about the medical council? Evidence needs to be collected and submitted -- what about wiring a few people up for sound, then requesting some advice from them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Does anyone find it ironic that the hippy shop cannot sell hallucnigenic mushrooms that have not been proven dangerous (something possibly even useful if your a biologist
    DNA
    PCR)
    but can sell stuff that might result in you getting malaria and that is fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

robindch wrote:
    > Surely I can sue them and have them charged with
    > wreckless endangerment or something?

Possible, but frankly, it's nicer not to catch malaria in the first place.

Actually, is anybody on for joining up and doing something about this? The advertizing standards authority must have some line on fraudulent ads or advice? What about the medical council? Evidence needs to be collected and submitted -- what about wiring a few people up for sound, then requesting some advice from them?

Give me a petition to sign and I'm up for it, my current energy levels will allow no more. If only I had some magic water to get my Chakras back in order... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Maybe we should stop all this skepticism stuff.
    http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=religion&word2=logic
    According to google religion clearly beats logic. Reason does beat religion but I would say that is because it has multiple meanings.
    David

Advertisement