Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bills

Options
  • 19-09-2006 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Friends;

who should pay for the following:

1- the connection fees of a Telophone line
    2- the bins cost of the trash

who should pay the lanlord or the one who rent the apartment??

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The tenant normally does

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

mmalaka wrote:
    Friends;

who should pay for the following:

1- the connection fees of a Telophone line
    2- the bins cost of the trash

who should pay the lanlord or the one who rent the apartment??

Thanks

If the landlord is half decent, he should pay for the phone line to be connected. You'll pay the bills, but the connection will still be there after you move out. You could offer to pay half maybe..

The bins. Hard to say with the info you've given. Are there management fees for the apartment block, I assume there are. Are the bin collection fees not included in that? If they are, then they're included in your rent. If you need to buy tags for bin bags every week, then you'll have to pay for them. Ultimately, your rubbish is your responsibility.

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The telephone line would be up to you, since when you leave you will have the line disconnected.

The bins, well as stated above, if it's part of the management fees then it should be in your rent, otherwise you pay it yourself, since it's your refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

As others have said the tenant would normally pay the telephone. They would also normally pay the bin charges unless its covered as part of a management fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

BC wrote:
    As others have said the tenant would normally pay the telephone. They would also normally pay the bin charges unless its covered as part of a management fee.

the bin issue should be in the lease, the fone for your account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,393 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ircoha wrote:
    the bin issue should be in the lease
    If the lease is silent, the landlord is responsible. Legally the landlord is repsonsible to have the rubbish taken care of, but usually the bill is passed on to the tenant.

Phone is tenant only. What else would you have the landlord pay for HBO, cleaning, au-pair?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Victor, are you sure about that? I always thought the tenant was responsible in the absense of the lease saying otherwise. Certainly that has been the case in my experience. Also our bills for bin charges are addressed to "The Occupier" which would not be the landlord.

From Threshold:

Water, Refuse, Services Charges

Local authority service charges for water, bin collection etc. may be payable by the tenant as the "occupier" of the premises rather than the landlord. Check with the local council. Make sure you are not billed for arrears for previous tenants or for charges due from other people living in the house. It is possible for the local authority to waive charges in cases of hardship

• Registered Users Posts: 78,393 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm fairly sure, someone found the relevant legislation at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I'd be surprised. I think it's the occupier. Council tenants pay bin charges, for instance.

Advertisement