Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pumpkin/Apple picking

Options
  • 19-09-2006 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this is where it should go, or if there is a better place where people could give me an answer, but I'll give it a shot.

Is there anyplace in Co. Dublin where one could go apple or pumpkin picking? I would really like to do this and couldn't seem to find any place when I did a google search. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

To conjour up an old thread...

I'd love to find somewhere too. Seeing that this is the season and all does anyone know of anywhere? There used to be a farm in Baldonnell where I picked apples when I was younger but can find no reference to it in the goldenpages/phonebook/internet other than a throwaway reference from 2002 about brwonsbarn orchard.

So anyone know of somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kebab face

Why ???????????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Dont know of any in Dublin anymore - so much fantastically fertile land given over to housing now!

However, you could try this guy for info on where local orchards might be:

Con Traas, Apple Farm, Moorstown, Cahir, Co. Tipperary
    Irish Apple Growers Association
    +3535241459
    +353866091998

Try this link for someone who might have info on pumpkin growers:

Pumpkin Growers

Good luck.

I'd ask you to pick my apples for me, but I've only 1 tree, and the wasps and ants are doing their best to eat the crop before it ripens!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

apple or pumpkin picking? I would really like to do this
    The pumpkin season is extremly short and obviously for the Halloween market only. The only grower that I'm aware of is Arnold's Fruit Farm in Lusk.

Dublin based orchards tend to be based in the North County area but are rapidly declining because of the small margins, cheap imports and property values. Keelings in St Margarets still have orchards as far as I know.

Why would you want to go apple picking anyway? It's a minimum wage job unless you are paid 'on task' (i.e. by the amount you pick). There are much easier ways of making a living. It's quite hard work especially if you get a bad row, small apples, walking around in mud, getting bitten by insects, getting soaking wet, cold, sun burned etc. The worst part though is that you have to pick them without damaging them in any way. Apples bruise very easily and you bin could be rejected if the supervisor is not happy with it - a couple of hours wasted and no pay for them. :(

I'd prefer to pick spuds or foot turf anyday!

Don't let the Bulmers ads fool you - there nothing romantic about it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I don't want to pick apples for money! Its for the enjoyment, freshness, nostalgia. Yeesh! Tesco aint that much fun last time I checked and apples I've been getting in the early summer, not so much now, have come from all sorts of places like New Zealand, Chile, South Africa etc. Nothing wrong with local produce!

Yeah Kealings but they're just wholesale distributors really. Can't go down and pick yer own apples.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Can you get blackberries anywhere nearby too? Haven't gone picking them since I was a kid and I'd love to go again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Schlemm wrote:
    Can you get blackberries anywhere nearby too? Haven't gone picking them since I was a kid and I'd love to go again.

Do you mean blackcurrants?
    Blackberries grow wild in just about any hedge you look in.
    I spent an hour or so picking them with my daughters on sunday.
    Balckberry and Apple pie, mmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have some blackcurrent (and white and red current) bushes in my back yard. Next season, if you just want some fresh air and no money then come up here and pick them for me :D

Why are pumpkins only for halloween over here? In the US they are there all year round. Pumpkin pie is yummy. Pumpkin seads (you can get them here) are used for lots of things, even roasted and eaten like nuts. Have even had pumpkin curry!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 s.mcauley

Baldonnell Orchards has reopened this summer. For more information read the Family Activities section of the South Dublin Tourism website.

Advertisement