Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damn terrace printers

Options
  • 19-09-2006 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

Where did they get the printers in the terrace??!!Did they fall of the back of a truck or was there a two for one deal in pound city. They are the most useless piece of machinery since freezers were invented for eskimos. It takes 15 minutes to print one page,so that means if you want four pages you have to wait an hour that is after the 60 people in front of you have printed pages so roughly it takes a day to print one set of lecture notes.
    Has anyone else lost almost a downpayment on a small palace with the amount of euro's they've put in that printer credit machine??
    Did they put all the crap computers and printers from belfield into the terrace over the summer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Panda,

The reason it takes several days to print anything in ET is because of fiendish medicine students printing gigantic powerpoint files (10-20mb), which the printers can't handle. This slows everything down. Having said that, I fear you may be the one printing these massive files. STOP FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

And FYI, MATLab gets frozen when anyone uses a printer; makes for some infuriating practicals:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

On a similar health printer type thing - the one in the Health Sci building has spent most of the today throwing constant hissy fits - it's not liking the extra strain being put on it by so many people using the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

On a related IT topic. Has any one else noticed that the sound card seems to have been removed from almost every computer? It is frustrating for those of us who enjoy listening to music while we work/doss. And I'm sure some students actually need to hear sound for their particular course. I only know of a few computer rooms where the ability to play sound files has been left intact, but they seem to be a dying breed.

BTW, for those of you printing out notes and other large documents, try to squash as much of the text down as possible to save paper, ink, time and your backs!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

E-Mail computing services about the sound cards, I did before about the PC's in Eng 321 and they were actually unaware that there was a problem. They fixed it in about 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Panda,

The reason it takes several days to print anything in ET is because of fiendish medicine students printing gigantic powerpoint files (10-20mb), which the printers can't handle. This slows everything down. Having said that, I fear you may be the one printing these massive files. STOP FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

And FYI, MATLab gets frozen when anyone uses a printer; makes for some infuriating practicals:)

Tis the lecturers fault for making the notes so long! Anyways looks like the printers had a good rest last night cos it only took 5minutes to print one page today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

Red Alert wrote:
    E-Mail computing services about the sound cards, I did before about the PC's in Eng 321 and they were actually unaware that there was a problem. They fixed it in about 2 weeks.

It seems to be almost every computer that is affected. I tried Richview, Science, Ag and Daedalus and Eng 321 (the new ones in the seperate room are ok though). It seems as though it has been done on purpose due to the extent of the problem but I will enquire, anyhow. Has anyone else noticed this: not sure if it may be a problem specific to me, but that is a possibility...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Samos wrote:
    It seems to be almost every computer that is affected. I tried Richview, Science, Ag and Daedalus and Eng 321 (the new ones in the seperate room are ok though). It seems as though it has been done on purpose due to the extent of the problem but I will enquire, anyhow. Has anyone else noticed this: not sure if it may be a problem specific to me, but that is a possibility...
    yeah i've noticed it in ag, arts and some terrace computers. assumed it was a deliberate thing as well.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I suspect that they actually rebuilt the central 'image' and neglected to include the sound driver. I got an email back the last time I complained and they did sort it out. Some people do actually need the sound cards, possibly some languages etc.

Nerd translation:
    Central Image = Instead of reinstalling windows when a computer gets borked, they initially build a 'clean' workstation with Win XP and change all the settings, install Novell etc. Then they take a 'picture' of the machine's hard disk, and can dish that out on demand over the network.

Advertisement