Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any1 doing mathematical modelling I in 1st yr here?

Options
  • 19-09-2006 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭

mates,wat do u think of the class so far?:rolleyes:
    i m thinking tat i might drop it.......

i dun get the connection between every thing he taught.......i still have no idea wats the 'core' idea of maths modelling.........:( maybe i m just a weirdo with a different way of thinking.....

is there any1 here did the module b4?tell me wat you know about~i 'll be very grateful: (or u can give me a short lecture to sort out my brain,i'll buy u a lunch for tat;)see if i m capable of taking the module or not )

Comments

I did it last year.
    If I remember correctly, no one had a clue what was going on the first week. There was too much, too soon. So I wouldn't worry too much, although it does get harder from here. I'd gladly meet up and give a quick tutorial if that would help? I think Raphael does it, so maybe give him a quick PM. Do you know anyone in that class? If you do, do they understand what's going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Yep, I'm doing it, and I can see your point. While the stuff he's covering makes sense on its own, right now there doesn't seem to be much of a connection between it all. Spose all we can do is hope Ted Cox knows what he's doing, which he probably does =p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ted Cox is a nutjob, and you'll either love this course or hate it. It's not too bad though if you put in the work for it - doing all the problem sheets and going to the tutorials.
    (did this 4 years ago...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Mathematical Modelling - come on, I know good figures are required for both disciplines but making a whole subject out of it is really pushing it IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

yeah he tends to cover rather random things in the first few weeks (I'm guessing there's been newtons cooling law, a snowball, drugs in the body, and pollution in a lake), but it's just to build up a few examples and mathematical methods, I wouldnt worry about it too much it should all make sense in the end, altough as was said above, it does get more difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

yesterday i did the class again.......ok...well....things r turning good now.....makes sence to me coz it was about calculus......;)
    but i m still sulky of i totally dun get wat he was on last time(something about tat graph thing,statistic...?)

ah,thanks alot ,guys~u make me feel better~:)

raphael,r we in the same class?:eek: definitely need ur help in the future~:p

p/s:aristotle,i wonder u get my Pm yet?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Yep, I'm the one that arrived severely late for the last 2 lectures. Which, incidentally, means I missed the thing about the graph. Oh well.

Seriously though, if you need help then find this guy(top):
    Wtf.jpg
    and I'll see what I can do. I accept payment in pepsi and sandwiches. =p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

I tried to do the homework tat he gave for the class.......:rolleyes:

i m totally lost............even the first question i cant get the answer....
    i run through his note again.........
    then i cant stop my laughing when i read these sentences..........

this is exactly what he wrote,
    Linear and Nonlinear differential equations
    definition:
    A differential equation is said to be linear if the function and all its derivatives appear linearly:rolleyes:

oh my god.:rolleyes: you are good,Mr.Cox.

Advertisement