Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pet hate - cry baby fans

• 19-09-2006 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭

I see Man Utd fans are lodging a complaint against Lehman , following a bottle incident at old trafford. Didn't see this incident so i wont comment on this case.
    But in general, i hate the way fans hurl vicious abuse at players all day, and then if the player reacts in any way, some sensitive souls go running to the police to lodge a complaint.
    My own club , Everton , have a large number of these wimpy type fans , which i'm not proud of.
    If you give it out , expect it back .
    Everton fans were particulrly sensitive to any wrongdoing from Fowler, yet for years chanted obsenities at him.
    Having played the game, and witnessed how hurtfull and personal some of the abuse can be , i completly understood Cantonas frustration when he had his kung fu attack at Palace.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

It's one thing to "react" and to make a gesture or something, but to actually kick a bottle into a group of people is idiotic, and its physical incitement. Fans are always going to hurl abuse at opposition players, they should have the cop-on not to react to it.

Having said that, I didn't see this particular incident so I've no idea if its true or not. Wouldn't mind seeing Jens Lehmann pick up some sort of a punishment, he's been getting away with things for far too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Worst of all was the Rangers fans going to the police over Artur Boruc doing what he does before both halves of every game:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-_zlmJLhZs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

for 40 grand a week 40,000 fans could call me a spice girl for all i care.

robbie fowler sniffing the white line on the pitch in goodison was funny though, big difference between that and doing karate kicks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eirebhoy wrote:
    Worst of all was the Rangers fans going to the police over Artur Boruc doing what he does before both halves of every game:
    He actually got a criminal record for that IIRC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

If lehman did it, it was stupid of him but i do agree with the whole cry baby thing. Like Neville, the guy put up with 90 minutes of abuse from 10K+ fans and when he wins he celebrates in front of them, so what the guy has every right. Henry did the same a few years ago at highbury against everton, scored ran to the everton fans and walked off, and he was complained. the rangers thing just sickens me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I was at that game were fowler did the white line thing. Gas.

Cantona lunging at yer man was also quite funny. Yer man simmons deserved a good karate kick to the head anyway. In his police statement he said he came down 10 rows to shout "OFF OFF, AN EARLY BATH FOR YOU MY LAD". Now i dont know about you but that would make me want to kick someone him in the head.

Joking asside footballers do take a huge amount of stick from opposing fans but i'd be of the opinion that they get paid enough to be able to handle stick and fame etc..

To put it into perspective, Michael Ballack earns more in one week then i do in 3 years. So do i have pity on him taking grief from some edjit in the crowd. Hell No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,076 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The complaints are getting a bit mad alright, does everyone really want it to be a soulless game where someone scores a goal, syays jolly good, calmly walks back to their own half, has some tea and crumpits with their teammates and continues the game? I thought Neville's thing was perfectly fine if a little stupid (just that he ran so very very far to do it, i thought twas funny), it showed passion at least and he certainly didn't deserve to get in trouble for celebrating to the people who were shouting abuse at him all game.

Actual physical action by a player is too far alright though, just as its too far from a spectator to throw a bottle at lehmann and would deserve a stadium ban or something. The complaint is from a man who's son was hit by the bottle so i can understand it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I cannot see this coming to much, always someit with some set of fans. I know they should not react but some fans as such twats that they deserve a bottle in the head!!! ;)

Lehmann is a bit of a fool at times but this will probably not come to much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I remember playing a hostile cup match out in clondalkin, and for our standard there was a biggish intimadatory crowd. We had a good midfielder with a receding hairline, and they started making nasty comments about Aids . Myself and a few other had to be calmed down , by our captain, and star performer , not to mix it but to concentrate . We won the game, but the incident made me sick , probaly helped push us a bit .
    This what triggered the pet hate !!
    Whether your a millionaire footballer , or an average amateur footballer , like myself , abuse hurts -- look at ZZ at world cup final - no matter how much money you make your still human !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Have to agree with the comments here, I am getting sick of hearing about police looking into an incident during whatever game and it's getting more prevelant.

These toe-rags can shout abuse at footballers all day from the safety of the stands and take offence if the players as much as makes any reaction back. The whole Boruc incident is IMHO just the PC brigade getting completely out of hand.

As for the so called incident with Lehmann, if it did happen there has to be some leniency given to the fact that the guy had got a serious smack of the ball in the face which can't have been nice so for him to hear the Mancs behind him hurling abuse I for one can understand his reaction.

If this keeps up then where is it going to stop, will the players be able to stop the game and point out the little so and so's in the crowd.

Just my tuppance worth !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Mad Dog wrote:
    Have to agree with the comments here, I am getting sick of hearing about police looking into an incident during whatever game and it's getting more prevelant.

These toe-rags can shout abuse at footballers all day from the safety of the stands and take offence if the players as much as makes any reaction back. The whole Boruc incident is IMHO just the PC brigade getting completely out of hand.

As for the so called incident with Lehmann, if it did happen there has to be some leniency given to the fact that the guy had got a serious smack of the ball in the face which can't have been nice so for him to hear the Mancs behind him hurling abuse I for one can understand his reaction.

If this keeps up then where is it going to stop, will the players be able to stop the game and point out the little so and so's in the crowd.

Just my tuppance worth !!!!

This is a stupid attitude, I have a kid who is 5 and I bring him to GAA games, wat if I was standing behind the goal with my kid and he was hit with a bottle thrown by a player? it would hurt him very seriously!! Its not all men that are in the crowd at games so of course the police need to investgate and if he did I hope they throw the book at him. End of Story!!

If a fan throws something onto the pitch they are banned from the stadium for life so what makes the difference between a fan throwing something and a player throwing something at a fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

I am not condoning anything being thrown into the stands or onto the pitch for that matter ....... My point was that i am sick of these fans abusing who they like and as soon as they even get stared at they go running to police or stewards and report the player as inciting a riot so if Lehmann did kick a water bottle into the stand he deserves to be brought to task.

I hope this clears it up for you;)

Mad Dog wrote:
    I am not condoning anything being thrown into the stands or onto the pitch for that matter ....... My point was that i am sick of these fans abusing who they like and as soon as they even get stared at they go running to police or stewards and report the player as inciting a riot so if Lehmann did kick a water bottle into the stand he deserves to be brought to task.

I hope this clears it up for you;)

Fans like that should be turned away from the police but nothing should condone throwing bottles/objects into fans!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I read an article about this in some paper today (can't remember which), it specifically referred to Roeder apologising to the West Ham fans. By all accounts, Roeder was getting abused by the classy WHU fans all game - chants like "your mother wishes she never had you" etc. Newcastle's fans chant his name, he waves and clenches his fist to them in response, and some Hammers decide to get upset by this (while others attempt to rush the stewards). Crazy.

As for Lehmann - he shouldn't have done it, but his behaviour towards JOS was more inappropriate imo. Still love the nutter though. The circumstances (getting belted in the face, and the below) should be taken into account:
    Yesterday I was sat (courtesy of a United contact with season tickets) at pitch level three rows from the front directly, on the edge of the 18-yard box where Jens kept the ball in the first half. The abuse the poor lad got throughout the game was horrible and sickening. I know we all take this piss, but it started at a level of ‘****ing cheating Nazi ****’ and when he was recovering from the ball in the face they were accusing him of gassing Jews and shagging the corpses. Throw his water bottle into the crowd? He should have pissed on them. The intensity of the pure naked hate was frightening.

As for Lehmann - he shouldn't have done it, but his behaviour towards JOS was more inappropriate imo. Still love the nutter though. The circumstances (getting belted in the face, and the below) should be taken into account:

Can he use that as an excuse for what he did to Scott Parker? The guy is beyond aggresive, he has problems.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Can he use that as an excuse for what he did to Scott Parker? The guy is beyond aggresive, he has problems.

Yeah he moved his body to make sure he took out Parker, flattened him. I have never liked mophead and the more I see of him the more I dislike!

Still any player that throws objects into the crowd should get the same treatment from the police even if I like them or dislike them as a player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

If lehman did it, it was stupid of him but i do agree with the whole cry baby thing. Like Neville, the guy put up with 90 minutes of abuse from 10K+ fans and when he wins he celebrates in front of them, so what the guy has every right. Henry did the same a few years ago at highbury against everton, scored ran to the everton fans and walked off, and he was complained. the rangers thing just sickens me.

That incident really pissed me off. So what if he celebrates in front of the scousers. And as someone else mentioned Roeder at the weekend, nothing wrong with that....West Ham muppets. Even the guys on MOTD said he had nothing to apologise for.

What is out of order is any unnecessary physical contact between players and fans like this alleged incident and other things in the past like Diouf and his numerous spitting incidents.

As for Lehmann, nutter, and wouldnt surprise me if he ended up on the wrong end of a bad challenge in the future. Definitely went to the Harald Schumacher school of goalkeeping. What did he do to O'Shea at the weekend. He has been lucky to stay on the pitch a good few times.

A gooner mate of mine was well surprised he didnt get on the PFA team of the season ahead of Given last season. Pretty obvoius I thought.....hes not liked by other players.

bucks73 wrote:
    A gooner mate of mine was well surprised he didnt get on the PFA team of the season ahead of Given last season. Pretty obvoius I thought.....hes not liked by other players.
    And he's prone to the odd spectacular gaf....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

BaZmO* wrote:
    And he's prone to the odd spectacular gaf....

Always nice to see. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Mad Dog wrote:
    The whole Boruc incident is IMHO just the PC brigade getting completely out of hand.

Jebus, how in the hell is it the PC brigade?

Opposing fans hurl abuse at the guy all day, he does what he does at every match and someone sees an opportunity to get him in s*it. Its not PC, its vindictiveness. You really think the complainant was offended?

• Advertisement

Once again some of my fellow evertonians have jumped on the high moral ground , regarding Joey Barton mooning offence -- and gone running to the police to make official complaints. You might like me be sore that we lost 2 points at the end , but do we have to look so wimpish ... i'm sure Joey endured a good few scouser insults that resulted in the mooning .. but running to the police is sad in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

eirebhoy wrote:

thats the worst?

ahhh, i see, its becuase it involves rangers. silly me. :rolleyes:

thats the worst?

I'm a Celtic supporter ffs. You try to wind me up and usually succeed. The Rangers supporter that could hardly name a Rangers player and hates Scottish football...

its just that you say thats the worst thing from the point of cry baby fans.

i mean, i can see something worse here on these boards. people who get wound up about things like this and think they are 'the worst' thing ever.

all seems a bit silly to me.

as for how i support my team, and my thought on the scottish league, i fail to see what that has to do with cry baby fans.
    but sure, you seem to be annoyed over that as well.

you are an angry young man. maybe you need some time away from the game?

as for how i support my team, and my thought on the scottish league, i fail to see what that has to do with cry baby fans.
    Because if it was an Everton fan saying "the worst has to be" you wouldn't look twice at the post. Leave me alone ffs.

thats the worst?
    Ah would you stop. You know quite well that it's just an expression. It's like if somebody said thast they "love" icecream. They're not actually in love with it they're just using the term "love" to emphasise their fondness of it. But hey, why am I even bothering to reply to your usual Celtic/Rangers trolling?!?!?
    thebaz wrote:
    Once again some of my fellow evertonians have jumped on the high moral ground , regarding Joey Barton mooning offence -- and gone running to the police to make official complaints. You might like me be sore that we lost 2 points at the end , but do we have to look so wimpish ... i'm sure Joey endured a good few scouser insults that resulted in the mooning .. but running to the police is sad in my opinion.
    They most annoying thing about them complaining about him mooning at them is the fact that he only done it cos he was getting stick off the Everton fans when he went over to some kid in a wheelchair to give him his jersey and in a lighthearted take the p1ss kinda way. Hardly a war crime!!! :rolleyes:

jaysus, i never even mentioned rangers.

you people.

tut.

cry baby is right title for this thread alright :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

thats the worst?

jaysus, i never even mentioned rangers.

Ya did ya did ya did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Players, especially PL players, get paid enough to take whatever verbal abuse comes their way.

That said, fans running to the police over that kind of thing is stupid. Unless it's someone spitting at a young supporter. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

If i was a Portsmouth fan id hand in an offical compliant for the fact the Didier Zokora's dive is an incitment to riot! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

eirebhoy wrote:

so he kicks a football, applauds the fans and rubs his hands together

I have never been so offended in all my life! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I hadnt actually seen the boruc video before , just read about it and thought "losers" for getting annoyed, but tbh, assuming that was the rangers fans behind his goal, then he pretty blatently did it to get their backs up. Personnally Iwouldnt go to the police over something like that, I'd just call him a wanker and wave my hand at him, but it was as innocent as it was made out by celtic fans.

It was the same as mourinho giving the liverpool fans the ssshh just after gerrard scored the og in the carling cup final, it was doen purely to get a reaction from the fans, which tbh is bang out of order. Players and managers shouldnt get involved in stuff like that.

Even if he does it at every game though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Even if he does it at every game though?

Does he do it facing up the pitch, as he walks onto the pitch or walk right to his goal line facing the opposition fans and do it there?

Plus in an all too sectarian environment a bit of cop on needs to be employed. There really isnt a need to do it right to the fans, he could have at least done it facing up the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I doubt it was the rangers fans behind that goal anyways, i saw a few green and white stripped jerseys and he clapped at the fans to cheer them on before doing his hands together thing....so I doubt it was the rangers fans behind the goal there

• Advertisement

I honestly haven't a breeze, maybe Eirebhoy or A Dub In Glasgow will know. As far as I'm concerned, if he did nothing different in that match to what he usually does, then there's no problem.

Isn't blessing yourself a Christian thing and not just a Catholic thing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Its a catholic thing, the holy trinity and all that..

I should have said but that video is from the Celtic crowd in the friendly against Chelsea. I was just showing what Boruc does in every game and what he got a criminal record for. :)

jank wrote:
    If i was a Portsmouth fan id hand in an offical compliant for the fact the Didier Zokora's dive is an incitment to riot! ;)

Thats the Damien Comolli effect, and we both know where he picked up bad habits like that...;)

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote:

They most annoying thing about them complaining about him mooning at them is the fact that he only done it cos he was getting stick off the Everton fans when he went over to some kid in a wheelchair to give him his jersey and in a lighthearted take the p1ss kinda way. Hardly a war crime!!! :rolleyes:

If that bit is true about Barton going over to a kid in a wheelchair , it makes me even more ashamed of these holier than though fellow Everton .. i have watched Everton many times , and while we have not got a particularly violent fanbase , they can be pretty nasty with there abuse .. we have got rid of the racial chanting .. but compaining to the cops about Barton ... makes me want to throw up this monday morning ..

Nah it's definitely true, they showed it on MOTD on Saturday.

I don't particularly like Joey Barton but it was a really nice gesture to give the kid his jersey and the Everton fans should be ashamed of themselves for complaining.

Apparently, he took a lot of stick over his brother who we all remember is doing time for murder

BaZmO* wrote:
    Nah it's definitely true, they showed it on MOTD on Saturday.

I don't particularly like Joey Barton but it was a really nice gesture to give the kid his jersey and the Everton fans should be ashamed of themselves for complaining.

Yes you are right - and this is the latest -
    "Merseyside Police have been in contact with the Football Association after Manchester City's Joey Barton exposed his backside to Everton fans."

How bloody sad , i am ashamed to be an Evertonian today , Barton does the good thing gives his jersey to someone in a wheelchair , and then responds to personal abuse -- and bingo the high morale brigade are off reporting to the local constabularly -- if you so easily offended , why go to Goodison , where verbal abuse can be pretty caustic -- sad sad sad

I'm sure the way whoever complained see's it is this.

Fans abuse Barton, 1-0
    Barton responds by mooning, 1-1
    Fans take it to the police, 2-1.

So the FA are going ahead and pressing charges against Barton !!!
    What a disgrace, have they and the people who reported him, nothing better to do with there time , than filling in paperwork , over a gesture made following personal abuse , after he gives a disabled supported his jersey .
    It hurts me to say it, but Everton seam to have more than there fair share of these over sensitive parasites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

I find actual cry-baby fans pretty pathetic, you know the ones they show crying at the end of an important match when there team has lost. I remember it happening at recent Utd- Arsenal showdowns and found one of them very funny :) and the other pitiful:rolleyes: . Its only a game ffs no one died.

Where's KenSutz when you need him!?

Aha! There he is! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8suSptxhZHY

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I think the players should be punished for reacting to the crowd - especially if they kick/throw water bottles. I mean all players play 18 away games in the premiership season and have to face away fans - its part of the advantage of playing a home game is to have your fans dish out abuse.

Part of being a pro is containing your reaction. Reacting to the crowd only incites violence and more hatred towards the player.

Not to mention a point that was already made - the crowd contains innocent spectators and kids. Unless lehman is highly skilled and accurate with a water bottle (barely is with a football) then he has no business kicking anything into a crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

its part of the advantage of playing a home game is to have your fans dish out abuse.

And therein lies a huge part of the problem - why should the players have to put up with (often vitriolic and personal) abuse, simply because they play for an opposing team?.

• Advertisement
Advertisement