Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pet hate - cry baby fans

2»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Because its just words. They are professionals - for every away fan that gives them abuse they have home fans cheering them. Reacting to the crowd incites further rage and encourages further abuse.

I'm not saying the verbal abuse from the fans is right or justified - its not - but thats all it is - verbal. Kicking a bottle into a crowd in retaliation is just stupid and will do more harm than good. Any footballer who retaliates should be repremanded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Kicking a bottle into a crowd in retaliation is just stupid and will do more harm than good. Any footballer who retaliates should be repremanded.

I would certainly agree with that, however, if you were the individual listening to X number of people shouting very offensive and personal abuse directly at you, can you say hand on heart that you would not react, because you're getting 40-50K a week?. No amount of money can prevent a person reacting to abuse, and some of the chants are so far beyond what should be acceptable to anyone.

I'd like to think I'd do what C Ronaldo at Man United is doing with all the abuse and use it to rile myself into great performances.

Lehman is reknowned for reactions towards players and crowds and has a silly habit of not thinking things through. Regrettably, personal abuse has become part of the modern game and as such I do think footballers should learn to put up with it - and should be expected to keep their cool. Reacting to the crowd endangers the innocent parties within that crowd too. Footballers know this and have been trained to deal with abuse. I don't think there is any excuse for reacting.

Now in relation to the OP's original point - The issue with Joey Barton mooning the crowd at everton. THAT is overboard.
    Kicking a projectile into a crowd is dangerous.
    Mooning a crowd in good humour after the final whistle?

I can't belive Barton has been done for improper conduct tbh. This is a case of PC gone mad.

I'd like to think I'd do what C Ronaldo at Man United is doing with all the abuse and use it to rile myself into great performances.
    something neither of us will ever know we can deal with (unless of course we ever get the chance, so this reduces it down to your good self, as you can be damn sure I'll never get that chance, even if I wanted it;) ).
    Regrettably, personal abuse has become part of the modern game and as such I do think footballers should learn to put up with it - and should be expected to keep their cool.

I personally find it very difficult to accept that - IMO it's a sport, not an abuse contest, so I don't think anyone should have to put up with that.
    Reacting to the crowd endangers the innocent parties within that crowd too. Footballers know this and have been trained to deal with abuse. I don't think there is any excuse for reacting.
    I agree the players should have self control, but everyone has a breaking point. There are too many examples of where players have to take dogs abuse above and beyond what any profession or professionalism should expect them to have to accept.
    Now in relation to the OP's original point - The issue with Joey Barton mooning the crowd at everton. THAT is overboard.
    Kicking a projectile into a crowd is dangerous.
    Mooning a crowd in good humour after the final whistle?

I can't belive Barton has been done for improper conduct tbh. This is a case of PC gone mad.
    That is a already too far, but I think it's already gone way too far anyway. It's now got to the stage where it's acceptable for the fans to do what they like, but woe betide the player who dares to react (fowler sniffing the line is a great example of this).

Its funny because I work with a home-bred Evertonian who was a season ticket holder when living at home. He fully admits to being one of the fans who dishes out abuse etc and yet when fowler sniffed the line he laughed and clapped him. Many of the fans that give the abuse will be the first to acknowledge and give credit to a player who gets their own back - as long as it doesn't involve projectiles.

The best thing a footballer can do to get their own back is score - for a goalkeeper that is obvisouly rarely an option. But you'd imagine if there was any player on the pitch who was used to takin abuse it would be the keepers - 90 minutes of being within yards of the crowd.

Its funny because I work with a home-bred Evertonian who was a season ticket holder when living at home. He fully admits to being one of the fans who dishes out abuse etc and yet when fowler sniffed the line he laughed and clapped him. Many of the fans that give the abuse will be the first to acknowledge and give credit to a player who gets their own back - as long as it doesn't involve projectiles.

The best thing a footballer can do to get their own back is score - for a goalkeeper that is obvisouly rarely an option. But you'd imagine if there was any player on the pitch who was used to takin abuse it would be the keepers - 90 minutes of being within yards of the crowd.

Poor ould fowler did both, and got into trouble for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Blackjack wrote:
    And therein lies a huge part of the problem - why should the players have to put up with (often vitriolic and personal) abuse, simply because they play for an opposing team?.

Agree fully with you -- why should players have to accept racial or vicious personal abuse, -- the authorities are really clamping down on racist abuse - but apparently when Newcastle played West Ham, some of the moronic hammers were singing they wished Roeder died from his illness -- then when he gestured and clapped at them -- these hard morons went and filed a complaint to the police -- the heart bleeds for them --- Cantona certainly knew how to put these morons in place -- fair play Eric and the Seagulls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I reckon if the police answered every complaint with "thank you for your time Sir, to conduct a full investigation we will need to examine CCTV footage of the entire match that you attended. Can you supply us with your stand and seat number so that we can ensure that at no time during the match you, or anyone sitting near you, was subjected to foul or abusive language, racist chanting or any other anti social behaviour. We will of course pass the results of our investigation on to your club to ensure they deal with such behaviour in the future" there be a huge drop off in complaints.

Make the poor wee sensitive souls realise what goes around comes around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Feal angry this morning with some of my so called , Evertonians -- the same people who run to the police at any retaliatory gesture made by the likes of Fowler and Barton , applaud some moron who throws a coin at and injures an opposition player . I wonder if Jansen had thrown the coin back , like Carragher , would these so called fans be calling for police investiagations and Jansen to be booted out of the game . Morons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I see sissoko decided to slap the head off a few fan on saturday night outside a chippy. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I see sissoko decided to slap the head off a few fan on saturday night outside a chippy. Fair play to him.

Thats an interesting positon to take chucky particulaly considering comments you have made in the past. Your change in opinion wouldn't be just be because Sissoko is a Liverpool player would it?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50862313&postcount=13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

So basically Chucky you think Sissoko is a knacker???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The Muppet wrote:
    Thats an interesting positon to take chucky particulaly considering comments you have made in the past. Your change in opinion wouldn't be just be because Sissoko is a Liverpool player would it?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50862313&postcount=13

Wasnt that post refferring too how players reacted on the field to a bit of slagging? Completely different i think.

Glad too see you take such an interest in my posts though!

Advertisement