Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus Cablenet Broadband?

Options
  • 19-09-2006 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

So i was just wondering has anyone used this BB or heard anything about it. It sounds really good. Its 6mb cable BB, with a 20:1 contention ratio, 40GB cap all for €39.99 including free installation. The lady even said that they coud have it installed by thursday(cuz i'm living in Cork city). So basically just wanting any feedback people might have about it. I'm on 3mb eircom now for €54 so it sounds like a really good deal. the only thing that i was wondering about is that it says on callcosts.ie that the contention ratio is 48:1, but when i ask them on the phone they said it was 20:1, so i guess callcosts.ie is just wrong or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Akula

I have it. Its dog slow at times. The evenings can just be silly slow. It peaks at about 3 megs. Have argued with them ad infinitum but they say nothing is wrong.

Cant really advise you go for it as the service stands at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

ive got it unfortunately and indeed its dead slow ( model farm road area ). most of the thime its about 800k down and 420k upload, with very large jitter on the upload ( so forget about VoIP for now ). Maximum ive seen on it so far is 2mbps and that was only one day.

My girlfriend in Mayfield, who is on the 2mb package is a similar story and gets about the same range of speeds as me on the 6mb i think, but obviously a lower upload

Also, the pings hop all over the place and the traffic routes through london and amsterdam.

When playing games every say 20 seconds id get a slight connection interupion ( making the entire screen freeze for a second )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

so its seems a bit dodge. So is the contention ratio actually 20:1?? or 48:1 as the callcosts.ie website says. Anymore pople have bad experiences or any one a good story?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭com7

i have it in ballintemple at the moment , its fine most of the time except the odd night around 8 30 or so , ive got a voip phone with blueface and i m very happy with it

yeah, guess it all depends on what area you are in, mine happens to be terrible on it to be honest :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

I have the 6meg package and i have very good service usually dl at about 500megs , voip with skype is perfect, but in saying that there are times whenever that the service is prretty bad but more often than not its very good. pings to english css servers usually about 20 - 30

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Akula

Where are you located Private Joker?

For me the quality of the service is so variable my guess is that I'm on a very heavily contended circuit.

Had a look at some of my stats from the last couple of weeks... highest ever achieved was about 3 megs.... highest it usually achieves in a given day is about 1.5 megs.

Anybody have any luck through putting pressure on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

I'm Located in naas, I used to be with eircom which was very stable and speeds were always nearly the same. I know the speeds i'm gettin are no where near they should be, but even at its worst its alot better than eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Anyone here using Chorus in Limerick?

Thinking of changing if the service is good enough when my Smart contract finishes in a few months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

its not in Limerick , next year is the normal excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'm in Limerick and I get about 1 or 2 letters from Chorus every week advertising that cable broadband is available to me right now. I know this is complete bullsh*t as my estate is not cabled. I checked on their website and neither digital cable or broadband is available. I'm saving all the letters and am going to send them back to Chorus with a big F*CK OFF note attached.

I didn't know it wasn't available at all in Limerick yet, that's typical of Chorus. We even had a guy call to the door asking if we wanted to sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Thats why I asked...I get all that crap in the letterbox too. Just assumed it was up and running.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

But it was wireless and not cable and was available between 2000 and 2003.

Then Chorus turned it off .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Ok I'm after ordering Chorus broadband today because I've been unable to get broadband from practically anybody else... feck. Fingers crossed that it'll work alright. I'm in the Ballyvolane area of Cork (beside Mayfield), so Jnive: lets hope I'm on a different loop / network from you and your girlfriend!

Its getting installed on Friday, I'll post back over the weekend and give my critical opinion...

thing is, ballyvolane/mayfield was only enabled a few months ago, so it has newer infratructure compared to my area, bishopstown which was enabled/upgraded about 2 years ago lol. Also its known that the wiring out here goes through extra loops apparently, hence why there is so many disruptions to TV around here ( god i remember the black box like it was a nightmare, crappy picture, mono sound, and down for an hour or so each day with some channels like sky one or mtv down for hours each day )

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I have Chorus 6Mb package and I get full speed all the time. I don't use full speed all the time :) But when ever I do any speed tests, it comes close to full every time.

*EDIT* I'm in Naas

Is there anyone on in cork using the wellington road exchange cuz that where i'm connected to.

choruys dont use exchanges :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

JNive wrote:
    choruys dont use exchanges :-)

He might be referring to a headend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

I have been signed up with Chorus in Cork city for the past 4 months or so and have found the service to be excellent. The order was very quick to begin with - installed less than 48 hours after I placed the order. I went for the 1.5Mb connection at the time and am sharing it in the house here with 2 others. Do a lot of DL'ing and online gaming without any issues.

I do not check my DL speed regularly, but when I first got it installed I did a basic test @ http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php which told me I had ~ 1.38Mb download. To my surpirse I just did a test today and it tells me I now have a 2.49Mb download speed which means I must have been upgraded to the 3Mb connection without even knowing :) ? I don't know how to check my contention ratio..

I am based in south city centre, just off Barrack Street - not sure which exchange/headend this is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Mac Freak

Contention ratio is 30:1 on all Chorus networks as i've been told today.
    Service is available in Limerick at present and probably will be a lot better than Cork as their homes per node are a lot less there. Service is generally good but if there is a lot of peer to peer in your area then this will certainly affect your service as they are chewing up all the bandwith...As NTL have just done in their area's all heavy users taking the p*ss have been removed as you will see on these boards and i'm sure this will happen all over the Chorus networks as they are now working from the same book due to both companies been taken over by UPC.
    I've Esat BT and it slow to say the least and there billing is forking useless as 20 months into contract they still have yet to sort my bill...

Anyone from Esat out there... F*cking useless Ba*tards...

Thick CSR's, (NOT ALL AS I MANAGED TO FIND 1 WHO SPENT TIME ON MY ISSUE WHO ACTUALLY GAVE A ****) thick management... And for all Broadband users Comreg is useless to you for any issue's "AS BROADBAND IS NOT REGULATED" so if you have any issue's its between you and the service provider so think long and hard about who you sign up with.

So to conclude i'm looking forward to Chorus coming live in my area as i've found them easier to solve TV issue's and billing in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

IrishTLR wrote:
    I have Chorus 6Mb package and I get full speed all the time. I don't use full speed all the time :) But when ever I do any speed tests, it comes close to full every time.

*EDIT* I'm in Naas

I'd like to slightly change my opinion. I've noticed that over the past week, the service has severly degraded at night. pings to boards.ie are anywhere between 100ms to 250ms and multiple packet loss.

Not good.

I've gotten on to Chorus for an explanation and have been told that a manager should ring me back within 3 days..... Not great service but if they can stick to 3 days, I'll be happy.

Oh, they also said that they had nationwide broadband shutoffs sometime today. However, mine was still working :)

I really hope they are not sarting to route through the Dam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 timmol

Mac Freak

Adverts | Blog | Friends Chorus Contention

Contention ratio is 30:1 on all Chorus networks as i've been told today.
    Service is available in Limerick at present and probably will be a lot better than Cork as their homes per node are a lot less there. Service is generally good but if there is a lot of peer to peer in your area then this will certainly affect your service as they are chewing up all the bandwith...As NTL have just done in their area's all heavy users taking the p*ss have been removed as you will see on these boards and i'm sure this will happen all over the Chorus networks as they are now working from the same book due to both companies been taken over by UPC.
    I've Esat BT and it slow to say the least and there billing is forking useless as 20 months into contract they still have yet to sort my bill...

Anyone from Esat out there... F*cking useless Ba*tards...

Thick CSR's, (NOT ALL AS I MANAGED TO FIND 1 WHO SPENT TIME ON MY ISSUE WHO ACTUALLY GAVE A ****) thick management... And for all Broadband users Comreg is useless to you for any issue's "AS BROADBAND IS NOT REGULATED" so if you have any issue's its between you and the service provider so think long and hard about who you sign up with.

So to conclude i'm looking forward to Chorus coming live in my area as i've found them easier to solve TV issue's and billing in the past

can u tell me y u have an apostrophe in the words 'areas' and 'issues'. thanks

timmol wrote:
    can u tell me y u have an apostrophe in the words 'areas' and 'issues'. thanks

its obviously just a grammatical error.

Have u not learned how to use the quote function?

Advertisement