Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a Siamese cat?

Options
  • 19-09-2006 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Thinking about buying a Siamese cat, where would I get one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

http://homepage.eircom.net/~sabcci/

Not a breed for the faint hearted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

tywy, I'm gonna assume you've done all your research on this specific breed before even considering buying one and not rant at you ;)

But just in case you haven't, please, please do so before you go any further. As Arcadian has said, taking on a siamese is not a decision that should be made in a hurry!

If you've already learned as much as you can about them, my sincerest of apologies. I'm not trying to have a go, just offering advice in case you might require it :)

If you don't find what you want on that site PM me and I'll put you in touch with a breeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Just be careful which breeder you choose. It's one of those breeds that's attracted the real fruitcakes and the chancers.

From the GCCFI (the only pedigree registry in Ireland) website

"It is STRONGLY advised that anybody who is considering purchasing a pedigree cat/kitten should check first with the registrar of the GCCFI"

http://homepage.eircom.net/~sabcci/Caveat Emptor.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

My mom has actually asked me to do the research for her....she had siamese cats when she was younger and would love another one. She knows what to expect.

How much would I expect to pay for one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Go to the Siamese Cat Society of Ireland, as recommended.

Siamese are darlings - they're more doggy than catty in a lot of ways.

We had a couple of them when I was little; my favourite was "flawed" according to the breeders' nutty ideas, because he was a reversion to the original breed first brought to Europe - he had slightly crossed deep blue eyes, and a kink in his tail.

(This was supposed to be because they were used to guard the valuable statues of the Buddha, and the kink in the tail was from twirling it around a pillar and the crossed eyes from staring at the statue. Nonsense, but fun.)

My father once went into a pub and heard two guys he knew, professional burglars, telling a friend about the horror of an attack on them when they broke into a particular house. As they crept through the window, they were attacked by witches screaming and wailing and scraubing them with their long raking nails.

Some hours later he happened to be in a house in the same road, and the people there told him that there had been a break-in, but the burglars appeared to have fled. Their two Siameses were stalking around looking very self-satisfied.

Now, some of my father's stories could be taken with a grain of salt, but I loved that one!

Incidentally, if you're buying any animal, make sure you see it with its mother, in its breeder's own home. A friend of mine bought a puppy supposedly reared by its mother, but didn't make sure to do this, and I suspect that the pup was from an animal farm - to this day, it's the most neurotic dog in Ireland, and obviously wasn't raised by its mother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

They're a bit more work than other cats, they're in a league of their own, and beware of certain health problems they can have. All in all, do the research, but your mam probably knows that, it's just good to stress it :)

But they can be such darlings. I wouldn't have traded in the two I had for anything. One was full siamese, pedigree, chocolate point, she was a beautiful cat, probably could have been a showcat, some health problems later on though, and a bit eccentric, but such a loveable little darling. Very noisy when they have their periods though!

The other was half-Siamese and half-Burmese (we suspect), again a bit eccentric (they tend to have very strong personalities I think), not a pedigree cat and no papers, we essentially rescued him, he was very weak and small when we brought him to our house but pulled through. But he was the sweetest cat ever, couldn't have wished for a better one.

Prepare to pay through the nose if you're looking for a pedigree cat, with papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

From what I hear they can be amazingly attached to their owner. And be very protective of him / her.
    Never heard anything bad said about them. Good luck & let us know how you get on.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

That's the problem though, they can be extremely needy ;) They are renowned for suffering very badly from separation anxiety, and will often pine for company if left alone even for a couple of hours. You would need to spend a lot of time at home to be able to keep one happy, so they're not really an ideal breed for somebody who works long hours/is out of the house for a long time during the day.

When you're actually there, they require a hell of a lot of attention and interaction to keep them contented. However, if you're in a position to fulfill these requirements, they can make an excellent pet purely because of the level of interaction you can have with them :) They're generally happy to just sit and chat to you for hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭JB1

Hi,
    actually, I am not surprised.I own (and breed( siamese and orientals, and when my girl had a litter she even attacked my husband who had returned from a business trip and wanted to pass by the space she was occupieng with her kittens.

cheers,
    jb

luckat wrote:
    Go to the Siamese Cat Society of Ireland, as recommended.

Siamese are darlings - they're more doggy than catty in a lot of ways.

We had a couple of them when I was little; my favourite was "flawed" according to the breeders' nutty ideas, because he was a reversion to the original breed first brought to Europe - he had slightly crossed deep blue eyes, and a kink in his tail.

(This was supposed to be because they were used to guard the valuable statues of the Buddha, and the kink in the tail was from twirling it around a pillar and the crossed eyes from staring at the statue. Nonsense, but fun.)

My father once went into a pub and heard two guys he knew, professional burglars, telling a friend about the horror of an attack on them when they broke into a particular house. As they crept through the window, they were attacked by witches screaming and wailing and scraubing them with their long raking nails.

Some hours later he happened to be in a house in the same road, and the people there told him that there had been a break-in, but the burglars appeared to have fled. Their two Siameses were stalking around looking very self-satisfied.

Now, some of my father's stories could be taken with a grain of salt, but I loved that one!

Incidentally, if you're buying any animal, make sure you see it with its mother, in its breeder's own home. A friend of mine bought a puppy supposedly reared by its mother, but didn't make sure to do this, and I suspect that the pup was from an animal farm - to this day, it's the most neurotic dog in Ireland, and obviously wasn't raised by its mother.

True as well.I myself as a breeder, won't even let a single kitten go to people who work full time.Siamese do crave company, and will be extremly unhappy if left alone.
    If you have a pair, you are usually fine, they will treat you like anything else in the house-they own you.But the love and affection yu get back from them is amazing.

That's the problem though, they can be extremely needy ;) They are renowned for suffering very badly from separation anxiety, and will often pine for company if left alone even for a couple of hours. You would need to spend a lot of time at home to be able to keep one happy, so they're not really an ideal breed for somebody who works long hours/is out of the house for a long time during the day.

When you're actually there, they require a hell of a lot of attention and interaction to keep them contented. However, if you're in a position to fulfill these requirements, they can make an excellent pet purely because of the level of interaction you can have with them :) They're generally happy to just sit and chat to you for hours!

• Advertisement

Lol,
    through your nose? now, it's not THAT bad.But indeed, siamese cats are expensive.Reason?

They are quite expensive to bring up if you want a healthy cat.They only leave the litter and mum at a minimum age of 13 weeks, and a good breeder makes sure they only get the best.
    I had 2 litters recently, together 10 kittens.It has cost me about 3000 euro to bring them up.Hence, you shouldn't be surprised by the prices.After all, that's only food, shots,registrations etc.Not to mention the amount of furniture, lamps or anything brekable in te house that needs to be replaced.Accidently kitten rescue out off the toilet is free service.

koneko wrote:
    They're a bit more work than other cats, they're in a league of their own, and beware of certain health problems they can have. All in all, do the research, but your mam probably knows that, it's just good to stress it :)

But they can be such darlings. I wouldn't have traded in the two I had for anything. One was full siamese, pedigree, chocolate point, she was a beautiful cat, probably could have been a showcat, some health problems later on though, and a bit eccentric, but such a loveable little darling. Very noisy when they have their periods though!

The other was half-Siamese and half-Burmese (we suspect), again a bit eccentric (they tend to have very strong personalities I think), not a pedigree cat and no papers, we essentially rescued him, he was very weak and small when we brought him to our house but pulled through. But he was the sweetest cat ever, couldn't have wished for a better one.

Prepare to pay through the nose if you're looking for a pedigree cat, with papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

tywy wrote:
    Thinking about buying a Siamese cat, where would I get one?

What with there being 1.5 million homeless cats in Dublin alone I'd be more inclined to adopt a cat in need to free up space in a rescue for another unlucky cat, rather than spend a fortune on a cat just because it comes with papers, but that's just me.

Hi Nala,

very well spoken.I am not breeding to make money.The siamese breed is a very old(actually one of the oldest) and is in deep trouble due to many breeders breeding to win shows, and hence inbreed.That has had a bad effect over time on the breed, resulting in small litters, deformed kittens and a short life span.Siamese cats used to get 18 years old, today you might considder yourself lucky if they turn 10.I am breeding to turn this around and there's quite a few out there with me...but again, anyone wantng to buy a pedigree pet (might it be dog, cat horse or what so ever) do good research..
    cheers,
    Jutta

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

koneko wrote:
    Very noisy when they have their periods though!
    DOn't I know it!!

Pedigree cat will be about €500-thats how much mine was anyway

That JB1 person sounds really good-breeders like that will always come out with cats with fantastic personalities. I'd also recommend MS.G.B. GOODISON. Shes one of those "cat people"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ismishacats

Nala wrote: »
    What with there being 1.5 million homeless cats in Dublin alone I'd be more inclined to adopt a cat in need to free up space in a rescue for another unlucky cat, rather than spend a fortune on a cat just because it comes with papers, but that's just me.

Anyone who buys a cat "just because it comes with papers" wouldn't be sold a cat by a reputable breeder. The paperwork is just a formality relative to the more important concerns. The rationale should be that they want a cat that they can be sure will fit in with their lifestyle, will be free of hereditary disorders...and that they can give a great and stimulating home to. Pedigree cat breeds are as varied in temperament as pedigree dog breeds, so wanting a pedigree cat for the right reason is as sensible as any other well informed decision. As a metaphor would you suggest that guide dogs for the blind should only use strays rather than get labs from breeders?

:)

Advertisement