Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question about shotgun regulations

Options
  • 19-09-2006 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi Shooters,

Complete newbie to this forum so please bear with me. I have a question about the legality of shotguns in Ireland, and even though I have had a glance at the sticky about the firearms act, I still need an answer.

Is there a limit on the number of cartridges a pump-action or automatic shotgun can legally hold in this country?

I ask because I used to live in England years ago and I remember after the Hungerford massacre in the 1980s that such shotguns were heavily restricted to, I think, only two shots per gun across the water. Were similar limitations ever brought in here, and if so what is the maximum number of shots an automatic/pump action can hold in Ireland?

Also, if you were in posession of a shotgun that held more than the legal limit, what is the sanction that can be applied to you? Can you go to jail? Is the gun forfeit or do you just have to modify it to make it legal within a certain period of time?

All help appreciated, or if you can refer me to a web page where these answers are easily accessible I would appreciate it.

Ta Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

i'm not sure what ans you want the no. of rounds you can have is stated on your cert
    for game your mag can only hold 2+1

i woiuld think you just have to alter the gun in some way but you may say you only had 2 in your 8 round mag and it would be hard to disprove

on a tangent this monthsw ISD says you can get a shotgun for 6for clay and vermin is this true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

[
    Is there a limit on the number of cartridges a pump-action or automatic shotgun can legally hold in this country?

Provided you are not hunting game there is NO mag capacity limit

You can hunt vermin,crows,piegons or use it for practical shotgunning or clay piegon trick shooting ,or "attitude readjusting"with an unlimited capacity

I ask because I used to live in England years ago and I remember after the Hungerford massacre in the 1980s that such shotguns were heavily restricted to, I think, only two shots per gun across the water. Were similar limitations ever brought in here, and if so what is the maximum number of shots an automatic/pump action can hold in Ireland?

Nope ,nothing was introduced.As this was a UK problem and we sort of cut the ties[more or less ]with the UK eighty years ago.
    Also, if you were in posession of a shotgun that held more than the legal limit, what is the sanction that can be applied to you? Can you go to jail? Is the gun forfeit or do you just have to modify it to make it legal within a certain period of time?

Unless you were hunting game and had the misfortune to walk into a ranger who would be in the know about firearms.Not much.I personally wouldnt even surrender the weapon to such unless he was in the company of a Garda.As there would even be the question of liscensed personel handling firearms etc.Eventually you would be fined and lose the gun in the worst case.BUT there is nothing to stop you putting in a temp plug of wood in an extended mag to bring it to a three shot,and remove when you need to.All a question of having it all squared away in the situation requires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mad Finn

That's answered my question.

Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

"attitude readjusting"with an unlimited capacity
    *groan*
    You won't be granted a firearms licence for such a role. In all liklihood, not ever. Whether or not that's a good thing isn't something we will be debating in here either, just to forestall a twenty-page thread - that's what the politics forum is for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Sparks wrote:
    *groan*
    You won't be granted a firearms licence for such a role. In all liklihood, not ever. Whether or not that's a good thing isn't something we will be debating in here either, just to forestall a twenty-page thread - that's what the politics forum is for...

Three words for you Sparks re my comment........ Tounge in Cheek:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

The limit for hunting game is 3. 1 in the breech/action and two on the magazine obviously this only applies to semis and pumps most people in ireland shoot double barreled guns (o/u s/s) so its not really an issue over here

For vermin shootin people with semi's generally have a 4 cartridge magazine thats standard but extentions can be bought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jcatony

I bought a Lanber Semi Auto Shotgun three years ago. When i first used the gun it would only allow two rounds in the mag. After removing the wooden rod from the mag it can now take 5 70mm cartridges.

Advertisement