Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connection Question

• 19-09-2006 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

sorry if this seems like a stupid question , will be setting up a wireless network in my house soon enough.just wondering if the router is downstairs, will it be hard to get a good connection on my pc upstairs, given that the router will be in the room directly below me..have NTL broadband and will probably get this router "Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54GL" (http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=314078) or is there loads of other factors that it will depend on..

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Ruthee wrote:
    WRT54GL
    The WRTGL is generally regarded as a pretty good piece of equipment. In most cases, it should work fine in the environment that you describe, but there are never any guarantees with Wireless. But uness you have concrete floors, you'll probably be just fine.

What are you planning to use as an adapter in the PC, or is it a laptop with built-in wireless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Ruthee

I have a D link Airplus G DWL G520 adapter in my pc and my housemate has one of the new macbooks so she'll have no probems anyway(i hope). I read somewhere that maybe you should try and match your adapters and routers but ive only read bad reviews of a lot of the d link routers (and i got my adapter for free,brand new, when we were building it so wasnt going to say no!!!)so thats why going with the linksys one.

there'll be no pc wired to the connection at all either..will this cause problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Your adapter will work fine. But just be aware that it's max connection speed will be 54Mbps and not 108Mbps. You would need an Airplus Dlink router to get that speed. But 54Mbps is more than enough.

Generally it's best to stick to one manufacturer. But in practice few people do. Except me. Cos I'm brill. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Ruthee wrote:
    ive only read bad reviews of a lot of the d link routers
    Now, now, we'll have none of that! I'm using a DI-524 and a DI-624 at the moment and have had absolutely no problems. And I'm using an Airlink USB adapter, and a Hawking PCMCIA adapter, with no interoperability issues. Which is more than can be said for the Hawking router that I had before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Ruthee

Thanks for the help guys

• Advertisement
Advertisement