Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

petrol in diesel?

Options
  • 19-09-2006 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

After a week of using a hire car on petrol, I put 99 cent worth into my diesel car today before I realised.Phoned a friend and he recommended filling up, cost me 74 quid. Although the car is running fine now I'm a little worried. Did I read here that petrol in a diesel was a big nono, and diesel in a petrol was ok, or was it the other way around.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Can't imagine there being any problems sure 99cents is only a teaspoon full of petrol now. It would just be mixed with the petrol and should be fine. What car was it? Most petrol cars won't let a diesel pump fit into the tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

0.099 cents may be a teaspoon full, 99 cents is closer to a litre.;) That said, I don't think a small amount of petrol in a diesel car should do any harm. Diesel in a petrol car is indeed a big no-no, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Less than a litre of Diesel in tank of petrol is nothing to worry about nor is the other way round.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

dubtom wrote:
    ....I put 99 cent worth into my diesel car....

...petrol into Diesel car....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

...petrol into Diesel car....

...indeed..

Thanks lads, just wanted to check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Onkle51 wrote:
    What car was it? Most petrol cars won't let a diesel pump fit into the tank?

It's the other way around. Petrol cars won't let a diesel pump fit into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

nah your safe, Having worked in a petrol station yrs ago for 4 yrs ive seen some ppl do it on a regular occasion!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Nothing at all to worry about -especially as you filled it up with diesel afterwards. Drive on...............

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Anyone ever try putting a litre of oil into the fuel tank? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭plasto

One of the tricks to pass the DOE, is to put some petrol into a diesel....it lowers the smoke emissions!!

I put 3 liters of petrol into 40 diesel.....not even a tiny puff of smoke!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

according to the audi owners manual you can mix diesel and petrol 3 : 1 in the event of a sudden cold snap to prevent icing of the diesel so i would'nt worry about less than a gallon of petrol in almost a full tank of diesel. in fact it will help to clean the carbon out of your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I have on occasion put 2 stroke oil in with my petrol to lubricate the injection pump, a lot of folk in the states do it too if they are laying their cars up for long periods !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've heard about adding a small amount of petrol to a diesel fill being good for older diesel engines, but I've also heard that its a big no-no for modern common rail diesels. Is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Stephen wrote:
    I've heard about adding a small amount of petrol to a diesel fill being good for older diesel engines,

If you regularly drive in -15degress celcius it will help stop waxing, although not as well as a proper additive. It might also help a car with poor compression to start. Other than that though I can't see how it would help, but might only cause premature wear of the diesel pump.
    Stephen wrote:
    but I've also heard that its a big no-no for modern common rail diesels. Is this true?

Yes. The OP is fine, but you wouldn't want to be doing it on purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Stark wrote:
    It's the other way around. Petrol cars won't let a diesel pump fit into them.

Thats what I'd said, I misread the op

Advertisement