Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Digital Camera Defect-Sony don't care

Options
  • 19-09-2006 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Dont know if thats correct forum, if not moderators please move the thread.

Ok,
    About 3 years ago I bought Sony DSC-F717 Digital Camera in local shop in Limerick City.Of course the warranty run out after a year, but I've never experienced any problems with it all. Thats until yesterday.I switched it on and to my surprise the picture on the lcd was kinda distorted.
    Thought it was battery not fully charged but I was wrong.
    Did little research and I found this:
    http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=DSCF717&news_id=118

So I rang up Sony UK (The number given to me was supposed to be for Sony Ireland). Anyway I explained the problem to the guy from Sony and he had to go and speak to his Supervisor regarding the issue with my digital camera. Few minutes later he got back to me and said:
    "We are aware of that problem, but it only occurs in the digital cameras bought in the USA". Sony USA and Sony UK are not the same company.So the only thing you can do is send the camera to Wales to be fixed which will cost £180.
    WTF!!!
    I bought that camera in Sony Centre and it's obvious that its a hardware issue. They will fix it in the States for free and cover the shipping cost and Sony here dont give a c**p about it. Paying over 1000 Euros for something, you should expect to have working for more than 3 years.And Sony having admitted that there is a problem, dont want to do anything about it.
    Is there anything else I can do apart from paying for repairs or dumping the camera?
    Thanks in advance,
    :confused:
    trance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

I woul say print off the web page in case it disapperas and then prep a small claims court claim based on the fact that they will repair in US but not here, it is worth a shot for 20 euro

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/justice/small_claims_court/small_claims_court.html

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭trance2004

Hmm,thats interesting.

Thanks a lot ircoha :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Dylan_James

Yep same problems with Sony again. They make the best products alright but couldnt care less when something goes wrong. I am still in the process of annoying them to get them to do what is right.

I always liked Sony products and I still do.
    Never had any problems untill yesterday with my digital camera.Well maybe after my Small Court Claim they will change the tune :D

Will keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If you had the camera three years with no problems, i'd be inclined to say there wasn't a manufacturing defect with it...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭rondjon

Before you go running off to the Small Claims Court, have you gone back to the shop where you originally bought the camera?

It is the Sony Centre, the shop, that you have the contract with, not Sony the camera manufacturers.

Therefore, you must give the Sony Centre, the shop, the opportunity to remedy the situation. If you're not satisfied with their answer, then you can take up the possibility of going to the SCC.

However, as per the comment of eth0_ above, after 3 years of working fine, I'm inclined to think that you may not have much joy at the SCC.

You're possibly better off trying to see what the Sony Centre shop will actually do for you. Maybe they might pay to get the thing repaired, or 1/2 the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Above is correct - The contract is with the store you bought it from.

Rather than go in all guns blazing. Bring camera, along with the print off from the web page stating that this is a recognized fault and ask the store to return it to Sony or their wholesale supplier (could be a grey import) and ask them to have it repaired or replaced.

A manufacturers warranty is in ADDITION to your statutory rights as a consumer. Sony have admitted that this is a problem in the manufacture of the product and therefore you are entitled to a repair, replacement or refund from the retailer - who in turn will get the repair / replcement / refund from Sony.

Thanks for the replies :)

I found an article on the sony.co.uk website regarding that problem,so I rang them up again.
    After explaining the problem the Lady on the other end of the phone immediately told me to send the camera to them and they will fix it with no problems-free of charge !!!:D
    I'd say the fella who I spoke to yesterday was not up to date with the info or his supervisor.
    Anyway going to post the camera tomorrow and hope for the best :)

Cheers

Advertisement