Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opeing the bonnet on a punto

Options
  • 19-09-2006 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

yes a know it sounds weird but i just bought a '03 punto the lever under neat the sterring wheel that they say "opens" the bonnet, anyway when i pull it it does sweet f*ck all iv stood at the bonnet while sum1 else messes with the leaver and i can hear the latch clicking but it doesnt seem to fully unattach the latch or whatever the proper wording is. Anybody know if there is anything else i should be doing lol i know stupid thread but hey i need to access my engine obviously lol :confused:

thanks to any1 that can/trys to help :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

Hey. There should be a latch/lever under the hood near the badge. It is usually visible if you try and lift the hood a little. If you move the lever it should then allow you to open the hood

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Yeah, just lift the bonnet a little, slide your fingers in under and release the catch. It's in the centre, a little to the right of the badge I think.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

sounds like the cable could be stretched.

I had a simialar problem on a mates astra. evetually he had to get a mechanic to open it. Some of the ideas might be relevant.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054965416&referrerid=&highlight=open+bonnet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

kikel wrote:
    sounds like the cable could be stretched.

I had a simialar problem on a mates astra. evetually he had to get a mechanic to open it. Some of the ideas might be relevant.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054965416&referrerid=&highlight=open+bonnet

Ditto with the wifes astra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

More than likely the cable has become detached at one of the the two ends. Check inside the car first and see if the metal cable is attached to the plastic lever. It usually just hooks in to a recess in the lever. Reattaching this will be easier than having to go to the other end.

If it is the other end, you may not have enough clearance when you lift the bonnet slightly to catch the lever. You will actually have to go in via the bottom of the car. This happened me before and I can honestly say it was a pain in the arse but managed to get it - I used a screw driver to move the latch by putting my arm up to the catch from underneath the car. If you have short arms, you might be in trouble ;)

If not, I'd say bring it to a garage.
    Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭DermoMIO

thanks for the replies sorry bout the time replying back but been busy in college and work so havent had the time to check this forum i think what you guys are getting at about the "metal cable" because the bonnet doesnt even pop open i can hear the click but i can barely get my fingers under it so i get sum1 to give me hand in trying what you guys said if we cant do anything will go to a mechanic thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

this happens quite a lot, the easist thing to do it pull the bonnet release lever as far as it can go, revealing the cable, then pull the cable with a pliers - the bonet should open then.

Advertisement