Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm damage prevention help for house under construction!

Options
  • 19-09-2006 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Folks,

With the impending strong winds forecast ( possibly severe) on Thursday evening , I’m concerned that my house currently under construction will suffer damage.
    I'm looking for advice on ways to reduce this possible risk ( if any) given current state of build

Current status of works and house details:

Storey and a half house with garage.

Roof and block work completed
    All windows fitted downstairs
    No doors/patio doors off kitchen, sitting room, or sunroom fitted .

4 Front upstairs windows not fitted ( waiting for stone to be complete to sill level for window measuring )

Upstairs studded not yet slabbed ( all open)

I believe wind damage is caused where wind gets trapped inside a building and cannot escape.
    My thinking is that down stairs given that I have no doors fitted wind should be able to escape ok ?
    Upstairs due to the fact that all windows are fitted bar the front 4, will this be a problem and so should I board them up ? , or is it a case that if wind does get in that because its an open space it will exhaust again from where it entered ?

Any advice greatly appreciated
    Regards
    Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Usually roof damage occurs if the wind blows in one direction and the resulting high pressure cannot escape from the house.
    The increase in pressure will lift the roof off the wall plates unless it is fixed very well.
    The solution is to open the windows on the lee side of the house, allowing the wind to blow through and preventing damaging overpressure.

I had a similar situation last winter, I made temporary "windows" using polythene sheets and timber frames, a couple of the sheets tore during particually bad storms :( but no other problems.

Should have used more timber in the frames, max spacing 400mm instead on 600mm or thicker plastic.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭ardara1

Your roof wont be blown off - if it does detatch its self from the wal plate, it'll be suckes off. The roof acts like an aircraft wing, higher wind speeds over the roof reduces the pressure from above allowing the roof to RISE.
    Don't worry - the current positon half way thru the build won't effect your exposure to the weathre - plastic on the windows won't help much either I think, then again I'm not prepared to house sit for you on Thursday!

spud2 wrote:
    Folks,

I believe wind damage is caused where wind gets trapped inside a building and cannot escape.Mike

I remember many years ago a neighbour opening his up-n-over garage door during a gale, as he lifted the door the wind rushed in and lifted the roof into next doors garden:eek:
    It's pressure difference between inside and outside that will cause the most damage, particulary if there is a repid change in either of them.
    Low pressure outside will suck it off, high pressure inside will blow it off.

If it's fixed properly it shouldn't move, having the house shut would probably be safer than all open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 spud2

Thanks for the replys,

Cj,

The winds are forecast to be from a Southerly direction. The top 4 missing windows are on the north side of the house which is probably a good thing.

don't think I can do much more than sit it out, Will let ye know how I get on.
    Thanks again for the responses.
    Mike

• Advertisement
Advertisement