Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Nokia phone - oops too late

• 19-09-2006 8:13pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Ok heres what i did. Back in my lesser brainy days (6 months ago) i bought a nokia 6680 off ebay locked to 3uk. Yep its a fancy paperweight on my desk at the mo.

However m work moby is faulty and my employer in an act of madness agreed to allow me upgrade at a reduced cost.

So i went through the moby list and decided to take the 6680 instead of the n70. reason being €100 in the difference for what seems like just a fancier camera on the n70.

Anyway, was i mad? I chose not to go with v3x cos i hate the motorola user interface.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I'd tend to agree with you about the difference.
    If the employer was paying I'd've gone for the n70 but if you were paying, the 6680 is almost as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i had a 6680 and upgraded to the n70. the camera is better, it has a radio, the user interface is slightly improved, its a bit smaller and its generally sleeker. i dunno if it'd be worth an extra hundred but if the boss was paying you defo should have gone fore the n70 :)

good call avoiding the v3x

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

6680 arrived today - life has a cruel irony. Its unlocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

pretty much just the radio and the camera thats different. screen res is the same so if you have a walkman and dont care about taking pictures i reckon you made the right choice. i passed on the N70 myself cause there wasnt any difference in its display. thats why i got myself a 6280, its lovely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Brianb8802

I just upgraded last week aswell, and i went through the same thing, N70 or 6680.

I went for 6680 for the same reasons, its a good phone but, is it me or does it seem really buggy?

Its kinda slow compared to my last one (nokia 6600), and it cant handle when you run several apps at the same time, old one had no prob. Ive only had it about a week, and ive had it shut down on me two or three times and have had stupid memory full!! messages a few times aswell, so have to restart it to get it working again. I know this message is about RAM being full but everytime it happens im only using one app.

Have you had any of these problems yet faceman?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Brianb8802 wrote:

yeah kinda of but only if im impatient. i find if i start hittin buttons while its doin stuff it slows it down a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭grudgebringer

Brianb8802 wrote:
    I just upgraded last week aswell, and i went through the same thing, N70 or 6680.

I went for 6680 for the same reasons, its a good phone but, is it me or does it seem really buggy?

Its kinda slow compared to my last one (nokia 6600), and it cant handle when you run several apps at the same time, old one had no prob. Ive only had it about a week, and ive had it shut down on me two or three times and have had stupid memory full!! messages a few times aswell, so have to restart it to get it working again. I know this message is about RAM being full but everytime it happens im only using one app.

I have had such a bad experience with this phone....I am considering just feckin the thing in the bin and going back to my ancient but trusty 7210i.

I got the thing on a upgrade offer so it cost only a few quid but I never researched it enough...I really like the features of a radio and decent alarm function on a phone...the 6680 has neither :mad:

I also had an issue with it some time back where there was a line across the screen and returned it to Vodafone, as usual they were insisting it was my fault etc etc.....but they reluctantly agreed to repair it...they replaced the LCD and upgraded the firmware according to the repair doc...now the lcd is fine but I have the following problems with it:

1. Turning the phone on takes an age (perhaps this is just a feature of symbian handsets??)
    2. If I am abroad, and send one text message, when I receive an answer, I get the same text over and over again all while I am away but NEVER any other ones, just every half hour or so, the same initial text....!! This, is a SERIOUS problem.........
    3. Sometimes, like described above, the phone slows down and just becomes unresponsive, even if I'm only running one app....
    4. From time to time, with no particular reasons for doing so, the handset will send no text messages or will take up to 5 minutes to send one....turn on and off sorts this out for a while?!?!?!
    5. Lately (new issue) for some reason the phone doesn't appear reachable when people try to ring me, just goes to my voicemail, I then get the message that I have a voicemail yet my phone was showing full coverage etc for all the time.....

Basically. I am very displeased with the phone......I can fond far too many bad points and not enough good to ever recommend it to anyone.....perhaps I should chance my arm and see if Vodafone will allow me to swap/upgrade it to the N70, at least that should be better?!?!

The ONly good point is that when I was away I managed to pick up 512mb of ram for it for €17, that was pretty good :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

I have had such a bad experience with this phone....I am considering just feckin the thing in the bin and going back to my ancient but trusty 7210i.

Perhaps you are using old firmware, what version is on the phone (type *#0000#)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

1. Turning the phone on takes an age (perhaps this is just a feature of symbian handsets??)
    ye, that's just symbian

sounds to me like yours is faulty but don't let it sour you against the phone. i had one for a year and it was fantastic, but the n70 i have now is slightly better :)

although it takes even longer to turn on, more than 30 seconds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭grudgebringer

skearon wrote:
    Perhaps you are using old firmware, what version is on the phone (type *#0000#)

Hi - the version is 4.04.07 dated 22/8/05

Is there somewhere I can get updated Firmware for this?

Cheers/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭robcon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Brianb8802

robcon wrote:

I tried updating my firmware using the program but it says that there are no updates for it, im running the same firmware as grudgebringer, 4.04.07 22/8/05, surely there must've been an update within the last year.

Can anybody confirm what the latest firmware for the 6680 is?:confused:

Advertisement