Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help advise please

Options
  • 19-09-2006 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hello,

having been burned by NTL's broaband (or lack there of) I wish to get some advice on what I should advise my parents to do about broadband.

They live in Cork City and they would like broadband.

Because they also have wireless Eircom phonewatch, I thought that their options were fairly limited.

1) chose to go down the DSL route but pay €190 or whatever for the technician visit to install a phone line splitter
    2) choose the cable tv broadband route.

I want to know, is chorus broadband in Cork reliable? Or does it experience regular outages as I have encountered with NTL in dublin.

What is the alternative to eircom's extortionate price for a broadband splitter?

If they do get the splitter installed, then, I will probably recommend that they get their broadband from BT as eircom's prices are crazy.

Can anyone who lives in Cork and who has wireless phonewatch let me know what they did? WOuld they recommend what they did or not?

Recommendations please.

I am sure that I am posting in the incorrect forum, so apologies for that in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭The Security ma

Ex-phonewatch eng here, mate-

You don't need a splitter at all.
    Get whatever broadband you like and just have it connected - then you'll pleasantly be surprised when you discover that your Phonewatch Monitoring 'STILL' works!....

If you don't beleive me, what will you loose?? - try it and see. If it don't, a splitter can be got on ebay for about STG £1.50.
    But it will work, beleive me. And when it DOES, be sure to post here again and tell everyone I was right...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Ex-phonewatch eng here, mate-

You don't need a splitter at all.
    Get whatever broadband you like and just have it connected - then you'll pleasantly be surprised when you discover that your Phonewatch Monitoring 'STILL' works!....

If you don't beleive me, what will you loose?? - try it and see. If it don't, a splitter can be got on ebay for about STG £1.50.
    But it will work, beleive me. And when it DOES, be sure to post here again and tell everyone I was right...:o
    Not in Cork but here's what I did. Told the sales rep I had my own splitter and got him to put "N/A" in the box on the form for the cost of the splitter. Installation engineer called and refused to put the system in unless I bought the splitter @ €60. I refused so he called his manager who I then spoke to and pointed out the N/A on the form. The system was installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You absolutely need a splitter (ADSL microfilter) or NON-Broadband devices will work but upset your broadband. They are inexpensive, but do cost more than 15 Euro.

http://shopping.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ss_adsl_in-line_filter.html

Only buy one on ebay if you are sure of the seller and that it is a proper ADSL filter, not just a wired RJ11 splitter.

Wireless Products similar in performance to ADSL are also avaibable in some areas of Cork. These don't affect or need your phone line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭The Security ma

Its *NEVER* upset Esat or Smart broadband, I can state as a FACT - both work perfect hand in hand!
    (The alarm *only* uses the line when it wants to dial out remember, not 24hrs a day - and when it does activate, its only for @6 seconds which will not affect your synch).

I can't speak for Eircom, but to be honest, It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they had something programmed into their broadband to make the line go off synch when it detected an alarm - that way its even more money for them!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you do not tell you isp that you have phonewatch in advance of installation dont expect any support from them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

dub45 wrote:
    If you do not tell you isp that you have phonewatch in advance of installation dont expect any support from them.
    How much support will you get from your ISP if you DO tell them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Moved from Ioffl > Broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 obrienb

Have a look at http://www.novanetworks.ie

It's wireless but I've heard nothing but good things about them. My parents are getting it installed Wednesday after I rang Nova Friday. So it's even faster than ADSL to get installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 jamesbond

hi the splitter is available from phonewatch at half the cost and they have engineers in your area who can fit the splitter

hi,
    I have to disagree with you on this one,there is a hi and low pass filter on the splitters that are fitted with alarm systems,
    the alarm must pass through the low pass filter to garintee connection to your mon station,
    indeed this will work but can you garintee that it will work in the event of an alarm,
    Eircom say you must have a filter fitted if you have an alarm system otherwise if you think about it if you didnt need filters why do you get filters in your home starter pack in the first place.i close my case.

• Advertisement

HI,

I think you should go the NTL route cause you wont require a splitter and they give you up to 6 megs

Advertisement