Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time off for stress

• 19-09-2006 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this should be here or in the work forum, but I figured this would be better.

Does anyone know what the story is with taking time off work for stress - fatigue?
    Life just seems to have gone tit's up in the last few weeks, and I could a day or so to myself, I was going to post my situation but to be honest don't feel like "airing my laundry in public". We're too busy at the moment to take holidays (which I would galdly do) so it's a case of taking sick leave.

I'm worried that there is a stigma about time off for stress and also that the doctor may just think I am looking for time off for the sake of time off. In peoples opinion is it better to take time off for say a stomach bug?

On a different note, can anyone point me in the direction of a good counsellor or motivation thearapist?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Having been honest with my employer about taking time off sick for stress, I would advise AGAINST it. I found out from someone who left the company having worked in HR that this was counted against me when an oppurtunity for promotion came up.

Speak to your GP and let him know what's up but explain you'd prefer not to let your company know the nature of the illness so if he could put down something innocious like explosive diarrohea :D

As for a good counsellor, the problem is that 1 person might get along really well with a counsellor but another person might not........Ask your GP to recommend someone (if it's work related, there's a doctor in the IFSC medical centre who deals with occupational stress etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Tizzy

Hi

Having been in a similar situation myself, doctors are very understanding if you explain how you are feeling,,,they dont have to put stress as the reason on your cert ...you can say you are suffering a tummy bug etc ...

i saw a councellor & went on meds for a while...5 mths on im feeling alot better ..

Good luck :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Firstly I would definately goto the quack to make sure its official.

They will also be able to judge whether you need a couonsellor and point you in the right direction.

Have a word with your boss and ask if you can have long weekend, tell them you are thinking of seeing the doc.

Most companies are very wary about stress these days and should try to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

By all means take time off for stress but i advise not mentioning stress.

A doctor is not obliged to write anything on your sick note other than medical illness. Confidentiality and all that.

What kind of therapist or is it a life coach or something you want?

Advertisement