Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2nd wireless router with broadband connection

• 19-09-2006 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Please see my attached file on my house and garden cottage broadband distribution configuration. My wireless works in the house with my standard eircom netopia wireless router. I have run an ethernet cable from one of the routers 4 ports in the house down to the garden cottage(50m length). In the cottage the other end of the cable runs into an x box and works perfectly. However I would also like to have a wireless signal distributed in the cottage. I have another eircom netopia wireless router can I use it solely to relay the ethernet signal wirelessly around the cottage?? I have plugged the cable into one of the 4 ports in the netopia to no avail. Can the netopia be used as a relay??
    Any advice or help would be most welcome!!!:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

clearlyn wrote:
    Please see my attached file on my house and garden cottage broadband distribution configuration. My wireless works in the house with my standard eircom netopia wireless router. I have run an ethernet cable from one of the routers 4 ports in the house down to the garden cottage(50m length). In the cottage the other end of the cable runs into an x box and works perfectly. However I would also like to have a wireless signal distributed in the cottage. I have another eircom netopia wireless router can I use it solely to relay the ethernet signal wirelessly around the cottage?? I have plugged the cable into one of the 4 ports in the netopia to no avail. Can the netopia be used as a relay??
    Any advice or help would be most welcome!!!:confused::confused::confused:
    It should work. The LAN ports and the wireless side of that router is just an ethernet switch, and you should be able to share traffic between those ports without any problems. You won't be using the WAN port (because it's a DSL port), so you should be fine.

But you must disable DHCP on the 2nd router, and you must change it's IP address, because by default it's going to use the same address as the main router. Log into the admin screen on the second netopia and change just the last digit of its IP address to 192.168.1.253 (the default is 192.168.1.254, as far as I can remember). Then connect your 50 metre cable into one of the LAN ports, and you should be all set.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 clearlyn2

Foxwood

Apologies for only replying 10 days later! some how my old sign name in was blocked by the forum administrator, I now have the same name+2.

I followed your suggestion with particular reference to to unclicking the DHCP option in the units programme menu and presto it immediately worked. I am now wirelessing relaying the ethernet cable feed throughout my garden cottage and running the x box connected to the same cable.

Thanks once again for your taking time to assistance,it is very much apreciated :):):D

Charlie (now clearlyn2 then clearlyn)

Advertisement