Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for BB provider, looking for advice (magent look good)

• 19-09-2006 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I just moved back to dublin for college, used to have bb in the house here but they forgot to pay a bill and got disconnected.

I'm now looking to change over from Eircom (i assume im still connected with them).

Had a look at magnets 4mb package, looks decent enough for 28 Euro, whats it like compared to lets say Bt's 3mb package. Have bt at home, never a problem with them.
    Read a little about not being able to access the modem or setup port forwarding, guess this means i cant use my linksys WRT54GL is rendered useless :(

Smart isnt enabled in the area (Phibsboro) which looks like a pity, seems like a decent enough package for 35pm. They have good customer service, reliable service?

Most importantly of all, i need it to have decent pings for playing games :D

Jozi

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Magnets package looks good but on the tv end they're missing Sky one - no simpsons, futurama, stargate sg1....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Magnet _may_ require a 12 month contract whereas Digiweb and BT are the best bets for 3mbits BB (non unbundled) and come with a 6 month contract instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I dont think the tv is really a concern, we had ntl but cancelled it cause no one really watches tv much.

I had forgoten about contracts, bt is 6 months anyway i think.

Anyone experiance with magnets service and router?

Jozi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

As far as I know, Magnet's ping is often a bit on the high side because of unusual routing, ask Sniipe as he has/had it. Eircom broadband is the most reliable for gaming, and BT provides a similar low-ping service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Whats this about not being able to access the modem or set up port forwarding?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is no user interface on the magnet box , in effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Magnet OK for BB, but a small TV service of variable quality. Sky or UPC or even TV aerial better.

Some people seem to have problems with ports, others say there is no problem, but unlike DSL from anyone else or any Wireless BB apart from Clearwire, you can't set up anything on the modem.

Metro and UPC usually you add your own router/firewall as it usually is a modem that passes EVERYTHING.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

jozi wrote:
    Had a look at magnets 4mb package, looks decent enough for 28 Euro

FYI it is only €28 for the first two months, it is €38 pm after that and it doesn't include line rental of €24.

So 4m BB + Line Rental + free local and national calls = €62

BT 3m BB + Line Rental + free local and national calls = €63

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bill Andrex

Stay away from IBB and you should be sound...

The votes say it all here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52081031#post52081031

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

jozi wrote:
    I just moved back to dublin for college, used to have bb in the house here but they forgot to pay a bill and got disconnected.

I'm now looking to change over from Eircom (i assume im still connected with them).
    If Eircom disconnected you for not paying the bill then you'll first have to pay this up and then pay for a re-connection before you can do anything with the line. That is if it was the line that was disconnected and not just the broadband. Either way you may still owe money for broadband. After that, I'd say go for BT or Digiweb as they have a 6 month contract that may suit you better. Also, they don't restrict access to the modem. Magnet's modem is also a wireless router with not so good WEP encryption and not the much more secure WPA.

• Advertisement
Advertisement