Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions wanted on Mazda RX-8

Options
  • 19-09-2006 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a Mazda RX8 (230bhp model) .. anyone have any opinions on them ? What do you think of them ?

Does anyone here have one ? If so tell me all about it !

I realise these cars average around 20mpg and about 1000 mpl of oil but I think I can live with that.

I really like the idea of a coupe with back doors !

Personally I like silver but what do you's think ?
    frk_527_63503.jpg

CB575969.jpg

CB575969b.jpg

CB456071b.jpg

CL_87749.jpg

Good looking interior too ...
    IMG_2831.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I like 'em in black. Word has it its the most practical coupe out there, with the rear suicide doors and a relevantly decent boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Nice car alright, but the RX-7 was famous for needing engines rebuilt after relatively low mileages. Something to do with the rotor wearing out. Dunno if the RX-8 will be different, it's a bit too new to tell I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I have one now for a while and its a great car.....never any problems with it. The oil thing is overrated....I carry oil in the boot but only occasionally put any in. Yes is is hard on fuel.....the 61L tank averages avout 500Km in my hands and that costs about about 65 euro...fuel economy is really much better on long trips....city driving is not great. In the city the car can be a bit hard to handle smoothly....changing gears all the time and the clutch is not great a low speed...but then you get it on the open road....once the rev counter gets to 4000 the car is like a rocket all the way into the high rev range 8000+.....have scared so many or my firends with the acceleration.....very very very fast car....even friends who have 2 and 3 liter BMWs have commented on the speed and acceleration. The best bit is the handeling its like a house fly around corners the limited slip differential is great however the traction control need to be turned off to get the back out.

Pro's : Fast, good looking, practical (plenty of room in the back), great handeling and managable as an every day car. Maxda reliable Holding price well

Cons : Fuel comsumption, needs careful maintanence, having to explain the Wankle engine to your pals.

I am looking forward to getting a new on in a couple of years...have a sunlight silver and will get a black next. Mine is the "low" power will get a high power next time. Get one I tell you...... now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

JHMEG wrote:
    Dunno if the RX-8 will be different, it's a bit too new to tell I suppose.
    Mazda sorted those problems AFAIK .. they're around 3 years now and reliability seems to be good.

Yes is is hard on fuel.....the 61L tank averages avout 500Km in my hands and that costs about about 65 euro...fuel economy is really much better on long trips....city driving is not great.
    Thats actually better than I expected .. I only get that from my Celica (190bhp model) and have been told the RX8 is much worse !! Depends how you drive it I guess.
    once the rev counter gets to 4000 the car is like a rocket all the way into the high rev range 8000+....
    Yeah the 190 Celica has 'Lift' that kicks in at 6200rpm and it powers the car to 8000+ rpm as well, so I'm used to the high revving part (sort of) :)

• Advertisement

fitzgeme, have you ever had any issues with the cold start/shut down = flooding issue ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I love them, black, red or blue are my chosice of colour. I think it'll be my next car. VRT is quite cheap too, you can get a good deal bringing one in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

has to be the grey colour for me and very cool cars, go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I drove one recently - (Actually the silver one above at the top above if thats the one in Monaghans in Galway)

I was blown away by the poke and the noise - it sounded like a messerschmit in a dive !
    IMO it beat the Audi TT hands down for practicality, ride quality and refinement which I found excellent and most 3 series coupes for poke except maybe the biggest engined ones.
    The 230bhp model must be an animal.

Thing is though, I could insure a 225bhp tt for half what I would pay for the RX8 coupled with other high running costs has ruled it out for me I'm afraid.

BTW they had a red 06 model 180bhp with cream leather and only 4k for about €6k off new price, good buy if they still have it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Never any probs with the starting.....you are supposed to rev it to 4000 and shut it directly off if you have not brought the engine up to full temp ( a short run for example).

Insurance is at 2.7 L levels. The low power is 192 BHP. Running costs are not that bad. Not as common as a 3 series which outsell mondeao's in the UK. I am not a massive fan of the TT which is a good bit more expensive and most common in 150 BHP variety, the 225 bhp quatro is in the same insurance class as a RX8.

Buy one Now......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

opinion i wish i had one :( go for it.

Advertisement