Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my Netopia 3341 knackered?

Options
  • 19-09-2006 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭

This issue has been annoying me lately so I'd thought I see if any of you can help.

I've an Eircom Broadband Home Plus Package and a Netopia 3341 (this one) since November 2004

Specs of computer are:
    Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe (Im using one of the Ethernet ports)
    Windows XP Pro

Recently, whenever I turn on my computer the "DSL Sync" light either:
    1 - doesn't come on (no internet)
    2 - flashes (no internet)
    3 - stays on and still doenst work (this happens very rarely)
    4 -stays on and works perfectly (the "Ethernet Traffic" and "DSL Traffic" flash in this situation as well)

I know the "DSL Sync" light is supposed to flash for a few seconds at start up but the above scenarios happen for longer than that.

When I check my connections (start menu -> connect to -> show all connections) the LAN is shown as connected (the timer is counting and a few packets have even been sent and recieved, about 100)

Everything looks fine except for the "DSL Sync" light.
    Ive tried repairing the connection, which actually works but still doesnt resolve the issue.

Sometimes turning the moden on and off fixes it and a good old fashioned restart does the trick to. Sometimes unpugging and plugging the cables works too.

The modem also works with the second LAN on the M2N32-SLI.
    Ive also had the same problem with another phone socket in the house and also another computer.
    All of this is leading me to conclude that its something to do with the modem.

I really cant figure this one out.

Has anyone else had any problems with Netopia modems sitting down after a couple of years?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.
    Sorry for going into so much detail but I wanted to give as much info as possible (hopefully its all relevant :)).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

mac_leinn wrote:
    All of this is leading me to conclude that its something to do with the modem.
    I'd be more inclined to suspect a problem with your phone line, or possibly one of your filters.

Somewhere on the Netopia Admin menus, there's a screen where you can get your line statistics. Post them here, and someone can interpret them for you (Not me, I can never remember what the optimal settings are!).

There are an awful lot of Netopia modems out there - if possible, you might try borrowing one from a friend, and see if that works (or bring your modem to their house and try it there, if they don't trust you enough to give you theirs :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭mac_leinn

Now that you mention the filter, a few months ago I pulled the filter open (phone line got caught around my foot :o). I didnt mention it because it was a long time between that happening and the problems Im experiencing now (also I forgot all about it :)).

The next time it happens I'll try to connect directly to the phone line (without the filter).

Anyway, heres my line statistics (I think!)
    The website I went to was http://192.168.1.254/StatTool

ADSL Line State: Up
    ADSL Startup Attempts: 1
    ADSL Modulation: DMT
    Datapump Version: 3.38.2
    Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin: 15.46 23.00 dB
    Line Attenuation: 41.23 25.00 dB
    Output Power: 19.42 11.97 dB
    Errored Seconds: 0 0
    Loss of Signal: 0 0
    Loss of Frame: 0 0