Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance?

Options
  • 19-09-2006 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭

I'm in the middle of building a fixie.Was wondering would insurance be a lot of money?Or is it a stupid idea.Last two bikes I had were stolen, and they were nice.Also the frame is dolan, should I cover it up with duck tape?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Franky Boy wrote:
    I'm in the middle of building a fixie.Was wondering would insurance be a lot of money?
    It's not a bad idea - however I don't know any companies offering bike insurance here. There are several in the UK (e.g. http://www.cycleguard.co.uk/) - maybe one of them will cover Ireland.
    Franky Boy wrote:
    Also the frame is dolan, should I cover it up with duck tape?
    Depends how horrible you want the bike to look. You might be better using something that's possible to remove such as old tubes, insulating tape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Morgan wrote:
    It's not a bad idea - however I don't know any companies offering bike insurance here. There are several in the UK (e.g. http://www.cycleguard.co.uk/) - maybe one of them will cover Ireland.

Depends how horrible you want the bike to look. You might be better using something that's possible to remove such as old tubes, insulating tape.

Cheers mate thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

For covering up the frame, I've seen couriers use handlebar cork wrap/tape!
    I guess it also protects against bangs/scratches etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Treade

Unless you are a home owner it is impossible to get bike insurance. It is possible to get it insured on your home insurance. Although some companies will only insure upto a certain value say €500. If is worth more than that I can send you details of my home insurance broker who have my bike covered for €1500. It added about €90 to the cost of my home insurance to get this done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Treade wrote:
    Unless you are a home owner it is impossible to get bike insurance. It is possible to get it insured on your home insurance. Although some companies will only insure upto a certain value say €500. If is worth more than that I can send you details of my home insurance broker who have my bike covered for €1500. It added about €90 to the cost of my home insurance to get this done.

That would be absolutley brilliant mate!What's the deal if it gets stolen in town though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Blowback

You will need all receipts for the bits and bobs you have bought, Garda report number or something to that effect.You will be amazed at the detail to which you may have to go into in order to make a claim.
    Sure hope you do not have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Unless you are a home owner it is impossible to get bike insurance. It is possible to get it insured on your home insurance.

123.ie seem to do bicycle insurance if you rent; you put bicycles as named items on house contents insurance.
    Starts from about 100e/year for bicycles (under 2K value) + some contents with 125e excess.
    Spoke to them on the phone, currently in the process of getting this and it all seems good so far, obviously check out the small print for yourself.

Advertisement