Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to learn in Galway?

• 19-09-2006 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭

After meaning to learn it for the past couple of years, I've decided that I'm going to get sweet feck all done at home with ebooks etc, so had better take to the classroom.
    Anyone know of a tutor or class in the Galway area?
    there was an ad in last week's advertiser, but that was directed more at LC students...

I only want to learn Romaji for the time being btw

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Quball15

Hey,

Im based in Dublin so no help to you really. But I want to advise you against learning romaji....if you really want to learn Japanese, don't bother with it, its just a distraction. Learn Hiragana and Katakana, its no bother at all and it'll give you great satisfaction and motivation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Tweedledum

It was over 10 years ago(!) but I learned Japanese in the Bridge Mills which ran language classes there. There were about 8 of us in the class, taught by a Japanese native. I don't know if they still do it.

As for learning Romaji - we learned Hiragana and Katakana, and only started Kanji after about 18 months. Romaji is pretty much useless apart from it being an aid to learning the Hiragana or Katakana alphabets. You're never going to find anything useful written in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Thanks for the reply, I posted this thread in the Galway forum and I believe that place has been suggested (the picture on their website looked like Bridge Mills anyway...)
    I was too late to enrol in their September classes, but will definitely be joining up in January.
    can't wait to get started now:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

tman wrote:
    I only want to learn Romaji for the time being btw

Nooooo! If you start Japanese through roumaji, you'll find it very hard not to use it as a crutch later! It's diffiicult enough trying not to use the kana as a crutch when learning kanji, you'll be struggling uphill through treacle if you ever want to learn kanji later.

You could learn the kana in a week if you wanted to (see sticky).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

cheers, guess i've shown just how much i know about the language here...:o
    I was just going for what i thought to be the easiest way to learn it, but given the feedback so far i'll definitely be avoiding Romaji like the plauge.
    I have a few ebooks here so might try to get a bit of a head start now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Ed.

Quball15 wrote:
    Hey,

Im based in Dublin so no help to you really. But I want to advise you against learning romaji....if you really want to learn Japanese, don't bother with it, its just a distraction. Learn Hiragana and Katakana, its no bother at all and it'll give you great satisfaction and motivation.

Are there classes in Dublin??? Was in Japan last month and returning in January,love the place although despite my best efforts to speak Japanese everyone wanted to try out their english on me :)

Advertisement