Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun License .22 rifle

Options
  • 20-09-2006 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hello everyone i applied on monday for my license for a .22 rifle and just want to know if anyone could tell me roughly how long i would be waiting i have a clean record so should be no problem there and im 24 so age should also not be a factor thanks all replys and help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Anywhere from 6-10 weeks I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

took me 6 workin days for mine and i'm 17
    but can take up to 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 43 alicaffrey

maglite wrote:

what part of the country do u live in and did u apply long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

cork last summer

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Depends on your superintendent - up until November 1 this year. At that point, it will be 3 months by law (if you don't get a reply in that 3 months, you're deemed to have been notified of refusal).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Mine took a month for a .22wmr which is my first licence and im 18. Im in the kilkenny district it really does depend on you super though some will ask for you to come in and have a meeting and make you write letters on what reasons you want it for others just issue it straight off.

I was lucky i was supposed to have a meeting with the super but i had to go out of the country for 2 and a bit weeks (which i told him about) i came back and was busy for a week and got a call on the saturday saying the the licence had been granted others havent been so lucky with licences but at 24 i doubt you should have a problem with a .22 as long as you have everything in order

Sparks wrote:
    Depends on your superintendent - up until November 1 this year. At that point, it will be 3 months by law (if you don't get a reply in that 3 months, you're deemed to have been notified of refusal).

so does that mean i will be waiting 3 months now or if i had of applied on the 1st of november i would have been waiting 3 months

It means that you're going to wait for as long as it takes for your superintendent to get back to you because you applied under the old rules.
    If you apply from November 1 onwards, either you'll be granted the licence within 3 months, or you'll be refused it within 3 months, or you'll hear nothing for three months (in which case you're deemed to be refused and notified). In the latter two cases, you then have a 30-day window during which you can go to the District Court and start proceedings to appeal the superintendent's decision. (Right now, you can't do this until the Superintendent actually refuses your application).

so if they do refuse me is there anything stopping me from applying again....this is absolute sh*t can they not just do it like a driving license that only takes a couple of days i heard that it only takes them a couple of days to do this but they just leave it sitting around for ages hoping you dont bother going back down and they will tell u every story like they lost your papers...

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

These lenghty waiting periods are designed as a means of assessing a persons character i.e. are you reasonable and patient? or likely to fly of the handle? Granted, some Supers and Fo's just dislike the idea of Joe public bearing arms so its up to you to show them that your not a complete nutter.
    In my personal experience, after i had sucessfully applied for my first rifle and shotgun license's, all subsequent applications went through fairly quickly.

Hezz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

alicaffrey wrote:
    so if they do refuse me is there anything stopping me from applying again....this is absolute sh*t can they not just do it like a driving license that only takes a couple of days i heard that it only takes them a couple of days to do this but they just leave it sitting around for ages hoping you dont bother going back down and they will tell u every story like they lost your papers...

welcome to shooting in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jcatony

I had to wait nearly 2 years for mine to come through. I had already posessed a shotgun permit for 4 years. My FAO was not the problem though, my application crossed the desk of the local super who did not care for anyone who wanted to legally posess a firearm. He practically threw my first application back at me and after my second, and much stalling on his part it cleared. I hope you dont go through the same rigmarole that i did but dont put any time frame on your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Im waiting since March for mine, my local FAO wont even return my calls. I was told it was cleared then it was on his desk and id get it any day, that was in june. I dont know what to do next. I must have rang about 15 times, i really dont know what to do. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I was told it was cleared then it was on his desk and id get it any day, that was in june....

It probably expired at the end of July .. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Im waiting since March for mine, my local FAO wont even return my calls. I was told it was cleared then it was on his desk and id get it any day, that was in june. I dont know what to do next. I must have rang about 15 times, i really dont know what to do. :mad:

Wait,wait and ..wait a bit more.:rolleyes: Keep bothering them every week,by phoneing and writing regd letters.Get your solicitor to write them a letter asking about the delay and situation,with a sort of "or else" sting in it.Dont give up,keep the pressure on them,eventually they will give an answer.It's what I had to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 t1m2

maglite wrote:

forgive me for being stupid but how would you go by getting a license for an air pistol, air rifle or rifle if you live in a town? do u need land? because i just wanted to go to the gun club and shoot at targets now and then. if u manage to get a lisence what is it, is a card u fit in ur wallet or is it just documentation? thanks

tim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I was just wondering with a .22 rifle. Do you need three land qwners and how tough are they on checking these. Thanks

If you're going to be doing target shooting (as opposed to plinking on your own - or someone elses - land informally, or hunting) and are a member of a shooting range, then no, you don't need the signatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

you just need 2 letters of permision from land owners or to be a member of a gun club.
    so join the club first, then apply.

Thank you i never realized it was an either or situation

• Advertisement

They don't exactly produce an easy-to-read booklet on the process Anxious.
    Best advice, as always, is to join a local club before doing anything else, and then pause, chat to the members - if you think people talk a lot on shooting in here, you haven't gotten to chatting in a club! - and maybe even try a shot or two in different disciplines and see what suits you best. Then start thinking about buying your own and getting licences and so on.

Yea, that is what im planning on doing,, however most of the ones ive seen are very expensive (for a student) and you need to know a member to join.

hi i was wondering does anyone know the phone number for the pheonix park were they process the license so i can ring up and check the progress i read somewere there is a lady called mary there

Advertisement