Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

o2 to 3...will i?

• 20-09-2006 12:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭

Thinking of changing from o2 to 3. I have bought a Nokia N91, which has a great big screen that I want to make full use of. 3 offer free news, weather, comedy, sports, music, videos and more and o2 offer nothing that will make good use of my phone without a hefty price. Plus 5 cent texts!!!!!

So should I? Looking for people who have experience of porting over to 3, just incase the grass isn't greener.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

avoid them like the plague. i was one of their biggest supporters when they started and now i fcuking hate them. look up the user mayhem (i think that's his name) for similar experiences

o2 does charge a lot for going on the internet but at least they let you. three has the news etc but you can't go on the internet except for a few "specially selected" sites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I went from vodafone to 3 and have never looked back. Yeah I find their strange idea of a walled internet weird, but then I have a laptop for that purpose anyway. It is like everything some people love it others don't

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭YeAh!

three has the news etc but you can't go on the internet except for a few "specially selected" sites

This wouldn't really bother me as I wouldnt use the phone for internet that much anyway. Just to download the stuff they have on offer.

Ahh i dont know what to do theres such mixed opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

YeAh! wrote:
    This wouldn't really bother me as I wouldnt use the phone for internet that much anyway. Just to download the stuff they have on offer.

i agree with commander vimes from my experience, it wasnt good, i originally moved from voda to 3... then moved back to voda... i honestly couldnt recommend anyone to go to three, the service was so dismal ,.. and not to mention their walled garden, and unlocking issues with nokia fones.

when something seems to good to be true it normally is!!! avoid....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

I dont know if its still like that, but 3 only sells simcards with their existing phones, so you cant just buy a simpack and use your current phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Depending how much you use your phone, consider Vodafone as well. It all depends on your usage pattern tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

well if thats all you want go for it
    there very cheap
    but for internet stay away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

was thinking of switching from meteor but not going to cos i do not want a different phone and no web text

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Despite 3's quirks, I find myself liking them. I guess paying half of what I paid O2 while making more calls helps and inclusive UK calls comes in really handy on quite a few occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

YeAh! wrote:

man i sent 70 text messages and 10 video messages and it only cost me 5.50euro. including a few premium texts to newstalk at 30c ago:D im not mad into the whole internet thing either but i love the free RTE news and weather and thats all ive really discoverd so far, apparently theres loads more. i recently downloaded the trailer for DOA and it cost me nothing too.. that sort of bloody thing cost me a fortune on vodafone. the 5c thing is a godsend. if you are gonna switch though the best route is to do it when getting a new phone, one thing i will give three is they have the best selection out there bar none. but as mentioned they are locked so if you go , go for the long haul.

oh and bear in mind you cant top up at ATMS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭YeAh!

So I would I go about changing to 3? Is it as simple as call into their shop, say I want to switch and they do? I can still keep my number and things can I?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

im not sure man. i was getting a new phone so i dont know if you can just get the sim cards, but i was on vodafone RTG and they switched me to 3 in the 3g store in the square and i got to keep my vodafone number . the girl did it on the computer in about 5 minutes, i didnt need any ID and all they asked was for a password and a pass area (city/town) as security features on your account. the passwords usually something like your ma's maiden name.
    i was heading over to my ma's for lunch which is about a 15 to 20 minute walk from the square and the sim card switched over by the time i got to her (the girl told me it'd take up to 3 days:D ) then it was just a matter of using the new phone

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

bear in mind also that if you dont have the firmware on your phone (as you would have on your locked handset) you might not be able to access a lot of services.

Also, according to the terms of 3's contract you can only use your sim in a 3branded handset, use of another handset puts you in breach of contract which may be suspended or terminated. they arent teh friendliest network in town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Yeah I was always curious about them allowing any ol' handset onto their network. You can obviously set it to use Voda 2G whenever you feel like it, which could cost 3 mucho dollares.

I don't think the N91 is available from 3 in Ireland, so Planet 3 probably won't work at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Blaster99 wrote:
    Yeah I was always curious about them allowing any ol' handset onto their network. You can obviously set it to use Voda 2G whenever you feel like it, which could cost 3 mucho dollares.
    not with the nokias anyway. they disable the option to select 2g signal (unless you have an engineers tool called net monitor)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

^ You can get Nokias reflashed to use the default firmware instead. This unlocks the GSM-Only feature.

Advertisement