Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for scans at the Coombe

Options
  • 20-09-2006 9:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

We went for our first trip to the Coombe last week. Apart from the pain of having to be in there for 6 hours (3 midwives had called in sick) we have been billed for the scan, 100 euros.

This is our second child, the last was also in the Coombe and we weren't charged for the scan. They do have new scan machines, but I can't see how that would mean we now have to charge..

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ring thier accounts department and enquire.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭eimearnll

i have 3 kids and never had to pay for a scan,did they give you the appointment for the scan or did you ring and make it yourself.i think if you make it yourself its going private.i could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

I'm with Coombe too and the booking for I got said that all scans were to be paid for at €100 up to a maximum of €300. I'm going private so not sure if that is the reason or not.

This is my third and I kow I was charged on both others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 numacd

it is because your going private i know you do have to pay when you go private,i was public on all 3 kids never had to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

oh right.. we're actually semi-private. we've spoken to the accounts dept but they didn't really help in determining why we're paying for it.

they said it might have been in the consent form but the staff who signed us in should have made it clear. then if course she finished off with something like "ah sure you know how it is .. .. if they didn't tell you then you need to ask these questions" .. ahh.. yeah thanks for that!!

thanks all for the answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

My wife had a baby in the Coombe in May and we were private. We were never charged for any scans. Most of the scans were done by the doctor in his private rooms but at least two were done by a nurse in the public section. We even went for an emergency scan after a car accident and were not charged for that either. I'd keep ringing accounts until you get the answer you want to hear. Unless, of course, their policy has changed since May. The only thing we had to pay the hospital was €250 "deposit" for the room which they returned after the baby was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

My wife is semi-private in the Coombe and we have to pay for scans. We are going for one tomorow so I'll post the most up-to-date price then. We had to pay the last time too fo our daughter, who is 2.5 now, and back then it was €70.

EDIT : Went for scan yesterday - invoice arrived today - no flies there. Scan was €100. We did have a scan on a basic untrasound machine earlier on in the pregnancy, but the one my wife went for was in the Radiology Dept, so I think that as you have to request it then you also have to pay for it. Thats the way it appears to me.

Advertisement