Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Hair Cut

Options
  • 20-09-2006 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

If a hairdressers gives terrible haircut, deviating from the style requested, and actually damaging ones hair, am I right in assuming I can demand my money back? My girlfriend just paid for a haircut she detests and I want to go in and get her money back, but I'd be more comfortable about it if I knew the law was on my side.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

very difficult unless u have before and after pics because once she leaves the salon there is no proof of anything.

I had a case where the girl was a trainee and made a real mess, so I refused to leave or pay. they called the guards who took one look at the haircut and told me I could leave with out paying.:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Be careful where you get your hair cut in the first place!

You'd need before and after pics and a clear statement of what was actually requested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭rondjon

acri wrote:
    If a hairdressers gives terrible haircut, deviating from the style requested, and actually damaging ones hair, am I right in assuming I can demand my money back? My girlfriend just paid for a haircut she detests and I want to go in and get her money back, but I'd be more comfortable about it if I knew the law was on my side.

Legally, it's not even an option for you to go in and demand your girlfriends money back. The contract was between your gf and the hairdresser, so it's up to her to discuss things with them - it's none of your business.

With regards to the possibility of getting money back, as mentioned by others, you're on dodgy ground.

Your gf should not have left the hairdressers initially if she wasn't happy? Did she voice her unhappiness before she did leave? Did she complain there and then? What was the response of the hairdressers?

Going back after the fact if nothing was originally said would definitely lessen any case that you may have.

Was the haircut what she asked for, but she just didn't like what she asked for? If she walked out without complaining initially, the hairdresser is rightly entitled to assume that your gf was happy with the haircut then.

Coming back at a later date would imply that she decided later that she didn't like it, or that others made comments about it that she didn't like it. Not liking something is no reason for getting a refund once you've purchased it under consumer legislation.

The ODCA site has some comments on this.

I would say that you have no standing in law here, and possibly some sort of reasonable conversation at the time of the haircut might have gotten some results, but after the fact now, I'd say your not going to get anything from them.

Advertisement