Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ryder Cup Practice Cancelled

• 20-09-2006 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭

So the practice has been postponed because of safety issues and lots of disappointed fans are left sitting in their cars waiting for the buses to decide to ferry them to the K club.

Jaysus lads if you are going to organise a huge worldwide sporting event in Ireland - maybe factor that there might be rain and windy weather into account?! Its not exactly unheard of in this neck of the woods in autumn...muppets

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

christ on a cruise missile, theres even s***e about the ryder cup on AH ffs

Seriously, golf, who give's a flying f***k? Sap's, thats who.

Personally i'd be delighted if a hurricane ripped through the K club laying waste to that den of muppetry and all within it :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

Absolutely delighted

Hope it pisses down all weekend:D :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Pope Benny.

Fear not Siogfinsceal, there shall be cloudless skies, singing birds and joyous faces this weekend.
    I have it on good authority that our almighty leader is a golf nut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i like the ryder cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

I'm not a golfy person, but I do hope the event goes well. After all the organizing, and having to listen to everyone talk about it, twould be shame if was a washout at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Watch it there benny, theres fellas gettin sitebans for making predictions over on the weather forum :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I must say I am amazed at the depth of feeling of the anti Ryder Cup Brigade.

Does that reflect the age /lifestyle profile of Boards users I wonder.

Reading some comments one could be forgiven in thinking that only the super rich and famous will be attending. Totally untrue.
    There will be a lot of average Joe's there and Joans hoping to enjoy the craic and competition and watch the best players in the world.

practically every little town in Ireland has a golf course,where anyone can play,not too expensive and exclusive.

Sure there are exclusive clubs and expensive clubs,but thats no great difference from other sports.

Some people who complain about the cost have no difficulty spending hundreds of Euro travelling to the UK for football matches every other week.

So take off the left wing glasses and student radicalism and enjoy an event that brings revenue,competition and world exposure to our country and don't be such curmudgeons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭SingingCherry

While I find golf boring myself, I don't hope this whole thing goes bust. Too much money and time spent. I can't believe anyone actually has a real hatred for golf. I mean, who cares that much?

I was thinking about the rain this morning and wondering if golf matches get postoned because of it because this country has plenty of rain in September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

I just think its stupid deciding to hold it in Ireland and then cancelling as its raining are these people made of sugar will they melt lol. Golfers are earning a fair whack surely they can play in the rain? anyway looks to be picking up now weatherwise

No interest in golf myself but I do think that residents of the Straffan area should have been given free tickets similar to what is done with ****** and residents of Punchestown. Instead the locals have been turfed out of their village so that the rich and famous are well looked after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

golf, like muppetry, cuts across all classes. true, theres a lot of snobbery and wannabe social climbing attached to golf, but its the muppet factor that really raises my heckles. :)

That and the corporate sponsorship type thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Begrudgery of the Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

agreed singingcherry, i don't think people do hate golf, i think maybe they are just sick of the incessant bombardment on news and advertisements, i know i am, and i'm going to it.
    only thing about september is it's a given that the first few weeks of school make for glorious weather, guess we got it wrong this year, ;)

The reason the practice was postponed was health and safety issues for the spectators.... not the golfers who will tee it up provided course conditions allow.

There were concerns about the temp. structures down there.....

Why do we always make such a big issue about some inconveniences in this country when at the end its for the good of all.

It'll be all over Monday and then we can start whinging about something else...

Archeron wrote:
    twould be shame if was a washout at this stage.

twouldn't

There ya go .... begrudgery at its finest.

Negativity in full flow.... great contribution there son.

Bambi wrote:
    , but its the muppet factor that really raises my heckles. :)

That and the corporate sponsorship type thing

Care to explain the "muppet factor" to your audience ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Care to explain the "muppet factor" to your audience ???
    golf is for saps

That's some explanation?????

Can u expand on that ??

There ya go .... begrudgery at its finest.

Negativity in full flow.... great contribution there son.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

There is a golf forum you know!?:D

• Advertisement

RuggieBear wrote:

Well said RB

FlutterinBantam,

Bog off to Golf Forum so you and your lot can compare Flannel trousers

Heh heh You won't rise me with that insult...Rugi will no doubt take care of that.

off to the golf forum........ FORE!!!!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

RuggieBear wrote:

and a good forum it is too, now all we need is a moany begrudgers forum for the guys above...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

I think it's more anti Ryder-cup feeling out there than anything else; we've been bombarded for months now with the notion that it's the bigges friggin' thing that the country has ever seen, that it'll have an audience of millions and that it'll be the saviour of the tourism sector for the next gazillion years.

It's only recently that there's been more scrutiny of what's been puffed about the place; the *potential* audience is indeed huge. However, I'm not too sure how many *actual* people will watch it. quite a lot, I would think, but nowhere near as big as, the superbowl in the states, the FA cup in the UK or the GAA all-irelands here.

Factor in the idea that greedy rip-off merchants are setting out to, er, ride the incoming tourists seems to put paid to any idea of a lot of return business from our gaudily clothed transatlantic friends, although I hope i'm wrong.

Like i say, I'm not anti golf. Some of my best friends are golfers :D. I do, however, believe that the beauty of the game lies in the premise of it being one man or one woman against the course (and nature). That's it. Period.

It's not a team game. It was never meant to be a team game. It's bloody ridiculous to have any shadow of a scintilla of an iota of a whisper of 'team' play about something that's so inherently individualistic as Golf. It's not like Ian Woosnam can hit a marvellous 3 wood drive, land in a bunker and say "Christ - i'm crap at these bunker shots, I'll have Montie bail me out".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Ì dont play it, but golf is an incredibly skillful game. Whatever issues about class/snobbery etc surround it (and every other sport), the fact remains that it is a highly skillful persuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Phew, busy this morning. Moved to Golf.
    I like golf and I don't think its for any high society people, maybe that used to be the case but not today.

I think it's more anti Ryder-cup feeling out there than anything else; we've been bombarded for months now with the notion that it's the bigges friggin' thing that the country has ever seen, that it'll have an audience of millions and that it'll be the saviour of the tourism sector for the next gazillion years.

It's only recently that there's been more scrutiny of what's been puffed about the place; the *potential* audience is indeed huge. However, I'm not too sure how many *actual* people will watch it. quite a lot, I would think, but nowhere near as big as, the superbowl in the states, the FA cup in the UK or the GAA all-irelands here.

Factor in the idea that greedy rip-off merchants are setting out to, er, ride the incoming tourists seems to put paid to any idea of a lot of return business from our gaudily clothed transatlantic friends, although I hope i'm wrong.

Like i say, I'm not anti golf. Some of my best friends are golfers :D. I do, however, believe that the beauty of the game lies in the premise of it being one man or one woman against the course (and nature). That's it. Period.

It's not a team game. It was never meant to be a team game. It's bloody ridiculous to have any shadow of a scintilla of an iota of a whisper of 'team' play about something that's so inherently individualistic as Golf. It's not like Ian Woosnam can hit a marvellous 3 wood drive, land in a bunker and say "Christ - i'm crap at these bunker shots, I'll have Montie bail me out".

thats rubbish, golf started out as a team game in the 1300s in teams of 4. The majority of club golf is played as some kind of team event, whether foursomes, greensomes, scrambles etc etc. It's only the pros who play individual strokeplay all the time.

As is becoming perfectly obvious the anti golf anti Ryder Cup people are demonstrating they know little or nothing about the game or its traditions.

because it was a so called elitist game in the dim and distant past ,in their opinion it still is...... Brrrrrrrr Brrrrr ... wake up.... its 2006.... not 1906...

the people who play it are ordinary everyday people and do ordinary everyday things.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

The reason the practice was postponed was health and safety issues for the spectators.... not the golfers who will tee it up provided course conditions allow.

There were concerns about the temp. structures down there.....

Why do we always make such a big issue about some inconveniences in this country when at the end its for the good of all.

It'll be all over Monday and then we can start whinging about something else...

this is exactly my point? If ther knew they were going to have it in Ireland in Autumn why not actually build structures that would withstand wind and rain lol first but of rain and win and they are sh*tting it about safety

• Advertisement

the people who play it are ordinary everyday people and do ordinary everyday things.....

So how much are the tickets for the Ryder Cup? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

Bill murray likes golf :rolleyes:

a days ticket face value is cheaper that practically any other big sporting event for a full day of sport.

there was a huge big public lottery where anyone could give their name in and the tickets were free.

you sure about that? The lottery the brother entered asked him for his credit card number and permission to dock him a few hundred if he was pulled outta the hat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

there was a huge big public lottery where anyone could give their name in and the tickets were free.

No they were not. You won the right to buy a ticket. I think it was about €120 per person per day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

you sure about that? The lottery the brother entered asked him for his credit card number and permission to dock him a few hundred if he was pulled outta the hat...

lol

RuggieBear wrote:
    lol
    yes thank you; i meant if his name was pulled out of the hat....he's not a rabbit :D

prospect wrote:
    No they were not. You won the right to buy a ticket. I think it was about €120 per person per day.
    someones lieing to me then, i might just have to have a word with the brother. looks like i owe him €120 dammit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

If you were succesful in the lottery your credit card was automatically charged for what you applied for. Quote from email:

Request ID 14XXX
    Congratulations!

Your application for Ryder Cup Tickets was successful in the random computerised lottery draw and we will shortly be collecting payment of €770 from your designated credit card for the following tickets:

Ticket Holder Ticket Price
    james xxxxxxxx Series - 4 Day (Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun) €345
    alan xxxxxxx Series - 4 Day (Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun) €345
    PARKING €80
    GRAND TOTAL €770

Advertisement