Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else bipolar?

• 20-09-2006 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I’ve been diagnosed for the last 4 years with bipolar manic depressive disorder up to then I was just thought to be clinically depressed. So life’s been tough what with a breakdown and then dealing with the diagnosis of this un-curable life altering disorder. Its obviously characterised by mood shifts, irritability, anger, big highs and terrible lows and I’m on medication that does keep me stable and life has turned out well despite this and I don’t think people can tell I have it but I’m just so confused as to what part of me is a result of the BP and what is just me. For example if I am in a mood with my boyf and have a row is it because I have a reason or is it the BP making me irritable, equally I get terribly angry at things, suffer anxiety and my mind changes about things very rapidly and dramatically so I just wanted to know do other people out there suffer from it and have they learned to handle it. I would be grateful and interested to hear other’s view on this illness.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Hi ruffles,
    I don't suffer from BP or know anyone personally who does. Just posting this as there was a program on BBC2 last night following Stephen Fry who is also a sufferer, it's on again next Tuesday 9pm, maybe that will give you a little more insight into the illness & how it affects someone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I don't suffer from it myself, but I do know that if your moods are extreme then this is the BP in control and not you. I also know that once you take your meds at the correct time it will help you by slowing your mood changes down, but forgetting to take them can cause a relapse.

I'm sure there are some message boards on the net for bipolar people, do a search on google you should probably find one where you'll find people willing to talk about their experiences. There may be a few bipolar sufferers on here, but you'd probably get better feedback from a bipolar site.

There was a programme/documentary on BBC2 last night with Stephen Fry about BiPolar disorder. I don't know if you seen it or not but it was very good, it's a two-part documentary. It might be beneficial for you to watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Hi Ruffles!
    I have a close friend who is Bipolar. And she often poses the same questions.

My friend is in her mid 30's and has been through many episodes / issues. I can tell you from watching all that she has been through that it is utmost important to take your meds every day and not self-diagnose.

It seems like every other year she tends to get in her mind that she is sinking and that if she alters her meds it would lift her spirits up. And of course when she does that, it leads to not taking ANY of her prescribed meds - which leads to a long hospital visit to get her back on track.

The hardest thing is that with every episode like this, her doctors have a more difficult time leveling her mood with meds. Say if you went on a scale of 1 - 10 - 1 being very depressed and 10 being very manic. The Doctor's goal is to keep you at around a 6. But with each time she goes off her meds and they have to readjust, she now finds herself at a 4. And it seems this is the best they can achieve for her now.

So keeping this in mind, please, please continue to take your meds religiously. I'd hate to see you in my friend's position. It is very tough on her.

I wish you the best!

L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 ruffles

Thanks. Im really annoyed i missed that show, i will tune in next tuesday.

Advertisement