Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters/lecturing

• 20-09-2006 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I’m in my mid 20’s and I enjoy the job that I do, it’s what I’ve always wanted to do, I find the work easy enough and I’m good at it.
    The only problem is there isn’t a lot of security or promotional opportunities anywhere in the industry.
    On top of that there isn’t a lot of scope to earn more than my salary.
    Anyways, I realise I need to give myself a kick up the backside and challenge myself, or at least develop a ‘nixer’.
    I’m thinking lecturing..Ive a lot of experience in my field and I know I’d be good at it.
    I have a basic degree and I applied for two masters part-time programs recently but I was turned down for both.
    Anyway, with the winter coming in and all that I’m wondering whether or not it is still possible for me to do a masters program of some sort, anything!
    Is there anything still available?
    Also is it possible for someone to lecture in an IT and University with a degree, or do you have to be undertaking a masters programme?
    How many lecturing/IT vacancies come up on average?
    Also looking at the jobs market, possible slowdown in economy and fact that there will be a lot more students etc passing through education in comi g years do you anyone else see many people leaving normal jobs to teach/lecture etc?
    Also, is it likely that stupid Irish honours rule will be abolished for people who want to teach in the future?
    Also where where can I do leaving cert Irish parttime through the winter in order to sit the exam next June, in Dublin area?
    Thanks in advance
    Sean

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Have a read of the sticky I put together. :)

I suggest you look into part-time lecturing as a starting point. In parallel to that, I would most certainly recommend a masters. You may have missed the boat for part-time lecturing positions for this semester, though, as courses generally start in the next week or so.

Lecturing full time is incredibly difficult to get into - somebody literally has to die before a job becomes available (ok, slight exaggeration, but you get the idea). Especially as student numbers dwindle. From chatting with people here on Boards.ie, I am coming to the conclusion that a PhD is a requirement for both the Institutes of Technology and Universities.

Advertisement