Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very stupid questions

Options
  • 20-09-2006 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭

Hey
    I just unlocked the medic gun I think.. the L85a1.. however the original weapon still comes up how do I switch to the new gun?.. I've only been playing a few hours really..

And another thing does machinegunning an enemy tank actually damage it?
    What about grenades?

Also is it worth shooting at helicopters with my regular gun?

And some enemy tanks seem impossible to destroy.. whereas my one always seems to blow up after 2 shots/rockets.. is this just down to the other guy repairing his tank between shots?

Do most people still use the number keys for weapons? am always handing out grenades instead of medical kits

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

The screen where you select your weapon there should be a little up and down arrow in the top left of the box, click that and it'll switch the weapons.

MG'ing a tank will not damage it, grenades will but only very slightly.

You can shoot pilots through the glass of helicopters so its worth it in that sense, otherwise its only really worth it if you have a heavy machine gun.

If you hit a tank in the rear or just under the tracks if looking at it from the front or back it will damage it more than anywhere else.

(Note : some of the above may have changed, haven't played in awhile)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Noob!!! wrote:
    Q : I just unlocked the medic gun I think.. the L85a1.. however the original weapon still comes up how do I switch to the new gun?.. I've only been playing a few hours really..

A. at the top right of where you pick your class, there should be a flashing orange up arrow type thingy, click on it to cycle through the unlock for that class.
    Noob!!! wrote:
    Q : And another thing does machinegunning an enemy tank actually damage it?
    What about grenades?

A. Dunno about the MG, doubt it, nades definately do but you'll need a bucket load of them.
    Noob!!! wrote:
    Q : Also is it worth shooting at helicopters with my regular gun?

A. Yes, they do deal damage albeit not much, a PKM can do really some damage to heli's. I remember once seeing a smoking heli and shooting it twice with the Mec default sniper rifle and got credited for the kill. the guy in the AA who dealt 99% of the damage nearly blew a gasket over it.
    Noob!!! wrote:
    Q : And some enemy tanks seem impossible to destroy.. whereas my one always seems to blow up after 2 shots/rockets.. is this just down to the other guy repairing his tank between shots?

A . could be down to an engineer being in the tank jumping out repairing between reloads, a crate could be beside the tank repairing it or an engineer in reparing it from behind or from a closeby vehicle. The other thing is tanks have weakspots, right under the gun used be one, but it does'nt seem as effective as before, aim for the threads i say.
    Noob!!! wrote:
    Q : Do most people still use the number keys for weapons? am always handing out grenades instead of medical kits

A Grenades don't heal they kill. Eventually with time you'll get used to the scroll on the mouse. the only time i use keys now is when my gun gets stuck on single fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Aim for the tracks or if your in really close range with another tank aim for just under the turret, where it joins to the main body. If you get it right you can kill a tank in one shot.

http://www.mashclan.co.uk/bf2-anti-tank-guide.html

and

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8756501112490504719&q=SNIPER+BF2
    for the one shot tank kill

Don't bother shooting them with your machine gun unless your aiming for the top gunner. Choppers will take damage from regular guns but not much. Useing a machine gun on it is usually the best option. I love takeing down choopers that hover over the hotel on Sharqi :) it usually takes them a few seconds to realise what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Frederico wrote:

Yes. Crap heli pilots will panic if they start to take damage, sometimes a clip or 2 of rifle is all it takes to stop a heli from capping a flag.

A good pilot will only leave if their heli is very damaged, or they will just turn round and rocket you.

So if you do take a few pot shots at a heli make sure its from the side or behind it and you have cover to hide in.

If the heli is somkin def take a few shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Frederico wrote:
    Hey
    I just unlocked the medic gun I think.. the L85a1.. however the original weapon still comes up how do I switch to the new gun?.. I've only been playing a few hours really..

As said, there should be a little arrow switchy thing.
    And another thing does machinegunning an enemy tank actually damage it?

No, not in the slightest.
    What about grenades?

A tiny bit, but its completely pointless. Best case scenario, someone else kills it and you steal the kill. Worst case scenario, the grenades kill you and your allies. You're also quite likely to kill the Spec Ops whos trying to C4 the tank.

No. You do tiny amounts of damage, they will barely notice. The cockpit is armored glass, so you can't hit them either.

The only exception are the Support machine guns, they will do some decent damage, but still crappy and useless by most standards.

The M95 sniper rifle can punch through the armored glass and kill the pilot. Most directed explosives, such as AT rockets, tank shells and the MEC chopper cannon can also do this.

SPECIAL NOTE: There are few things more awesome than shooting out the pilot with a sniper rifle mid combat. Not even capping a flag like, mid air, full flight. I've done it three times and its glorious. The one thing that is as glorious as this is taking out a jet with a choppers TV missile. I have done this once.
    And some enemy tanks seem impossible to destroy.. whereas my one always seems to blow up after 2 shots/rockets.. is this just down to the other guy repairing his tank between shots?

Different areas do different amounts of damage. See above link.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

I'm buying the game this week, will i buy teh Special Forces add on, ie. Deluxe Editon, or just plain old BF2?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

robnubis wrote:
    I'm buying the game this week, will i buy teh Special Forces add on, ie. Deluxe Editon, or just plain old BF2?

Deluxe you'll get 2 unlocks instead of 1 and more maps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

yeah what the lads said. But i just thought id point out that there is no such thing as a stupid question, if ya dont know stuff than asking is not stupid. So fair play to ya for asking the lads here, its the inteligent thing to do.

BTW on nading tanks our lads calculated it takes about 40 nads to take out a tank. I thought it would have been more like 10 or 12. I have often killed a tank with nads after some one already hit it with a rocket or two so its always worth a try. Also I think only the M95 sniper rifel can shoot the poilets outa choppers but I could be wrong. not tried it much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

so I think only the M95 sniper rifel can shoot the poilets outa choppers but I could be wrong. not tried it much.

Youv'e played for over 900+ hours, and you never tried to snipe a piolet? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

nope all the time once i got to 15 hours and my vetran badge ive never played as a sniper or spec ops since. Hate em. And time im either of those classes its bacuse I got revived with the wrong kit.

Also I dont play much on maps with aircraft and since the new patch I dont play where there are vechicles now.

42,000 points ago for me I unlocked my last 2 unlocks the SCAR-L and the L96a1 sniper and never even tried either of them. The odd time Ive been revived with the latter and just run about with througing nades till I die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Also I think only the M95 sniper rifel can shoot the poilets outa choppers but I could be wrong. not tried it much.

As I said, M95 will do it, as will AT rockets, tank shells and the MEC chopper canon.

I'm not sure about Assault grenade launchers, I've never seen it. Nor have I seen APC rockets or mounted rockets, but I wouldn't be suprised if those last two do.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭plenderj

It's definitely worth shooting at choppers. I've shot down helicopters with pistols.
    Obviously I did sweet ****all of the work, but I've still done it!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭up'Chuck

lol, handin out grenades instead of med bags....:D your the worst medic ever......:p, im only messin;)

anyone else ever noticed that if you throw a grenade in the mec chopper you can kill everyone inside, well im almost certain you can launch the assualt rifle grenades into the side of the blackhawk and kill all inside if you hit the inner roof.

Advertisement