Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Paradoxes

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

That's basically where we are today. QFT stands as an excellent theory of matter and three of the fundamental forces and GR an excellent theory of gravity and we don't know where to go from there.

Of course there are a lot of interesting questions still left in QFT and GR themselves which may have to be solved first before we can attempt to move forward.

Anyway, I hoped that partially explained things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Son Goku wrote:
    That's basically where we are today. QFT stands as an excellent theory of matter and three of the fundamental forces and GR an excellent theory of gravity and we don't know where to go from there.
    I thought you said that bhoth of these are combined in string theory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

SkepticOne wrote:
    I thought you said that bhoth of these are combined in string theory?
    String Theory doesn't combine them, it modifies/improves QFT so that gravity can be quantised as a QFT.
    However it still isn't clear that this is the correct approach. There is significant evidence that gravity can't be made into a QFT no matter what you do.

Also String Theory isn't finished as a research project, so we don't know if it has "worked" or not. It isn't even certain that it is internally consistent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement