Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I recommend Gardner Dozois "Year's Best SF"

Options
  • 20-09-2006 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭

I notice that Gardner Dozois' "Year's Best Science Fiction 23" (for 2005) is now in bookshops. This is his pick of the best SF short stories from 2005. IMHO this is the real deal and is excellent value. IMHO this guy really knows what he's talking about. FYI Gardner Dozois has won the Hugo for best editor fifteen times. I think he deserves to win every year but they're just too embarassed to give it to him every year ;)

Warning : "Year's Best Science Fiction 23" is the title of the US edition (now n Irish shops), if you see "the Mammoth Book of Best New SF 19" later this is the UK edition, identical except for the title and smaller page size.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I've got a few of the "Mammoth Book of " edited by him and was usually disappointed by them.
    Granted, I'm not really a short story and only bought them to get short stories by some of my favourite authors, but half the stories to me seemed pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

I notice that Gardner Dozois' "Year's Best Science Fiction 23" (for 2005) is now in bookshops. This is his pick of the best SF short stories from 2005. IMHO this is the real deal and is excellent value. IMHO this guy really knows what he's talking about. FYI Gardner Dozois has won the Hugo for best editor fifteen times. I think he deserves to win every year but they're just too embarassed to give it to him every year ;)

Warning : "Year's Best Science Fiction 23" is the title of the US edition (now n Irish shops), if you see "the Mammoth Book of Best New SF 19" later this is the UK edition, identical except for the title and smaller page size.

Have read almost all of his "Year's Bests" over the years, they're really great. It's rare that he puts in a dud story. Spose it's really just a matter of taste though. I picked up the older books during sales in Hodges Figgis (bargain basement).

Advertisement