Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vans

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

How will you tackle gear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

For this one we are going to use our friends gear who are going on the tour with us. They are based in the UK, so we'll check in our Guitars etc and just use their stuff. unless of course i have some kind of vehicle by then and i can ferry it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

bombidol wrote:
    UK tour coming up in November and I was hoping to have it all sorted by then but it looks like it wont be.

Not unless you have a full licence for November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Will it be very expensive to insure a van on a provisional? how about a small engined estate? 1.4 Astra or 1.3 Skoda Felicia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

overdriver wrote:
    Look, I play music for a living, so i feel your pain. No insurance company will touch you carrying music stuff around. Ridiculous, I know. But there it is.

Actually I'm insured with QD. My occupation? Musician. Provisional. Go figure. :rolleyes:

bombidol wrote:
    trying to consolidate all the band and gear into one motor
    You have the right idea chief but it's not that simple. As overdriver said, let the rest of the band bunk into a car and try get all the backline etc. into one van. even that would be an accomplishment.

In our band we use 3 small vans, I long for the day when we just get everything and everyone into the one vehicle but it's a long way off. Plus then you're 100% reliant on 1 engine to get you from one end of the country to the other...I hope you're in the AA ;)

After a small van, a trailer is your next best option but you're into different license category here and I'm pretty sure you cant get a prov license for Car + Trailer until you pass full test for Car alone. It's not all doom and gloom, but there's been some half-decent advice on this thread so far which is worthy of due attention...

• Advertisement

Blue850 wrote:
    Will it be very expensive to insure a van on a provisional? how about a small engined estate? 1.4 Astra or 1.3 Skoda Felicia?

No more expensive than a 1.4 Astra car. The van only has Driver + 1 passenger seat so only insured for 2 pax, what you need to be wary of is the extra loading from insurance companies. If it sounds expensive (ie music gear) they'll add a hefty chunk onto yer premium. It's not easy but it can be done...

Savman wrote:
    Actually I'm insured with QD. My occupation? Musician. Provisional. Go figure. :rolleyes:

You have the right idea chief but it's not that simple. As overdriver said, let the rest of the band bunk into a car and try get all the backline etc. into one van. even that would be an accomplishment.

In our band we use 3 small vans, I long for the day when we just get everything and everyone into the one vehicle but it's a long way off. Plus then you're 100% reliant on 1 engine to get you from one end of the country to the other...I hope you're in the AA ;)

After a small van, a trailer is your next best option but you're into different license category here and I'm pretty sure you cant get a prov license for Car + Trailer until you pass full test for Car alone. It's not all doom and gloom, but there's been some half-decent advice on this thread so far which is worthy of due attention...

The wagons wouldn't quote me at all. Theree is no rhyme or reason to it!

The one engine point is very valid, too. In an emergency you could all bunk in together somehow and get to your gig. The show must go on!

overdriver wrote:
    The wagons wouldn't quote me at all. Theree is no rhyme or reason to it!
    Well this is motor insurance we're on about! :D

I did call them, and get this - they told me Musician was not "a commercial occupation" so they wouldn't quote me for the Hiace.
    :eek: :eek:

overdriver wrote:
    I did call them, and get this - they told me Musician was not "a commercial occupation" so they wouldn't quote me for the Hiace.
    :eek: :eek:

The mind boggles. I've got a private motor policy with them as well so the commercial was a 2nd policy, dunno if that made any difference.

Because I was using up my NCB on the private car, I was a Prov with 0 NCB on the van (which was only a 1.4 petrol Vauxhall Combo). It wasnt cheap but it was either that or Britton Insurance who only offered 3rd party (no fire, no theft :eek:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

maidhc wrote:
    Not unless you have a full licence for November.
    Good point - provisionals aren't valid outside Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Yeah i was told that in Scotland last week. doesnt make any sense. i could pull strings and get the test reasonably soon but i want to pass the feckin thing!

Advertisement