Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

importing from north

Options
  • 20-09-2006 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

anyone know whats the best value motor to import from the north as regards dreaded vrt? i was thinking of a 01 ford focus (petrrol)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

paulmallon wrote:
    anyone know whats the best value motor to import from the north as regards dreaded vrt? i was thinking of a 01 ford focus (petrrol)

unfortunately no easy answer, general rule is about 4/5 years old but older will be cheaper, focus is good but there's plenty of them here so is it worth the hassle, but i'd go bmw/merc/audi and maybe VW before Ford but there are savings to be made. Do your homework

check www.carzone.ie https://www.ros.ie:/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Vaxuhall and Ford are the best value but depends on your budget.

You can make savings on BMW Merc and Audi's as well.

Sounds like you want to do a bit of buying and selling who doesnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

paulmallon wrote:

Focus's are already flooded in the Irish market so peopel are constanstly droppping the price when sellng second hand to try and get the upperhand and sell there before Jo down the road, my mate had to knock nearly 3k off his so any deal you are getting up the north you should be able to match down here

Only really worth bringing a car in from the North/UK if you are spending alot on it, I brought in my Passat because I drive alot and wanted all the extra's(cruise control, heated seats) that comes as standard in the UK models that you cant for the life of you get over here. My bro is bringing in a car but he is getting a BMW and my cousin got her mini up North again for the extra's on it compared to the Southern one. If you are looking along the lines of a Focus just stay in the South and buy here, not worth hastle when you can get great deals here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I don't want to start another thread on importing a car so I'll just append this one. My question is, I intend on buying a car up north/in england. What's the best method of payment? I do not want to bring the money with me in cash and I wish to do a deal then n there, as in I wish to take the car home with me on the day. Can I do an international bank transfer on AIB 24hr banking or would I have to ring them? What other options do I have?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I reckon bring a fair bit below what you intend to spend in a bank draft and the balance in Sterling Cash. This allows you room to manouveur on price. You will probably need oodles of ID and proof of address also.

I guess it's all down to the seller ultimately.

• Advertisement

ballooba wrote:
    I reckon bring a fair bit below what you intend to spend in a bank draft and the balance in Sterling Cash. This allows you room to manouveur on price. You will probably need oodles of ID and proof of address also.

I guess it's all down to the seller ultimately.

Some sellers don't trust an overseas bank draft because theoretically it takes a couple of days to clear in which time the buyer could cancel the draft when they return to Ireland or where ever. Plus if you want to travel on a weekend the banks aren't open.
    There's also the possibility with a bank transfer that the seller will have your money in his bank account before you travel and never show up:eek:

There must be an easier way??

I've thought about paypal? (Assuming the limit is high enough for an expensive car)
    all both parties have to do is have an account with paypal which is free, put your money into your paypal account before you leave and when you arrive in UK go to any computer with internet access and do the transfer there and then in seconds. there is a charge for the seller to remove the money afterwards i think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Car Giant ask for Sterling Bank Drafts AFAIK.
    http://www.cargiant.ie/Import/whatdocs.asp

Mc-BigE wrote:
    I've thought about paypal? (Assuming the limit is high enough for an expensive car)

Ok there is no way any dealer would accept paypal to pay for a car, if you are serious about buying a car from the UK then why not put onto a CC or cheque or pay cash and get a good deal. UK dealer will be worried about selling to Irish people unless cash because it is the same as selling to someone thru those stupid Nigerian emails u get.

Paypal is ok for ebay but I can see the face of 99% of any dealer in Ireland/England/Anywhere when you try to explain. Also the seller get charged by ebay for selling the good because they take a cut and on a large deal like a car will be alot.

You need to find a car and then talk to the dealer, if you are serious they of course they can work something out! they are reasonable people and althou alot of people know it the England love the Irish althou we have an atitude against them. You will find the majority of english people are very acceptable of Irish people

I accept your point about 99% of dealers/private sellers looking at you like you've got 2 heads when you mention paypal:D
    But sterling draft cheques are not 100% guaranteed for the seller and some could ask that the monies be cleared before they hand over the car which could be difficult if you’re trying to make a boat on a Saturday.
    Something like paypal would be good if it worked, currently you can't transfer money from your bank account to paypal (I’ve just check!) but paypal say you will be able to do it soon. Ebay won't charge you for a paypal transaction if it’s just between two individuals paypal accounts (assuming the car is not on ebay)

There is a charge for using paypal, but there's one for bank T.T.'s and commission on bank drafts also.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I've done it four times so far. I paid by cash twice, and draft the other two times. Each time, I went with the seller to their bank so that they could verify the cash/draft. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Hmm The car I would be buying would be about €12,000 so not a hope I would bring that kind of cash on me. My last car I bought I transferred the money instantly to the sellers bank account using AIB 24hour banking but obviously that was in Southern Ireland. (It was the best way because both parties could see the money credited/debited in their accounts) To be honest if there was some way I could wire the money, that would be my preference. I was thinking of the paypal route alright but my credit card limit is €1,000 so that's not goin to work and as you say the likelihood of the seller accepting it is very remote. Can AIB transfer money to international bank accounts over the phone does anybody know?

fletch wrote:
    Hmm The car I would be buying would be about €12,000 so not a hope I would bring that kind of cash on me. My last car I bought I transferred the money instantly to the sellers bank account using AIB 24hour banking but obviously that was in Southern Ireland. (It was the best way because both parties could see the money credited/debited in their accounts) To be honest if there was some way I could wire the money, that would be my preference. I was thinking of the paypal route alright but my credit card limit is €1,000 so that's not goin to work and as you say the likelihood of the seller accepting it is very remote. Can AIB transfer money to international bank accounts over the phone does anybody know?

Again talk to the dealer, most of them know about the Ireland transfer of cars so are willing to arrange something once they sell a car and get a sale, they are not all beast but not saying they wont screw u over if they can!!

Advertisement