Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am i a mature student?

Options
  • 20-09-2006 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

hey guys. Somebody maybe able to clarify a few things for me.

In 1998 i did my leaving cert and went to UCC where i did an Arts degree, graduated in 2001 with a pass degree. Didn't kill myself with the study while i was there, was a regular visitor to the Autumn repeats.
    Since then i've been in and out of various jobs with nothing really solid and lacking a bit of direction.

My query is am i eligible to apply for courses as a mature student, i am now 27. Does the fact that i hold a degree mean that i am not eligible?

Also i guess that because i hold a degree i would be liable for all fees..etc..

any comment or advice would be most appreciated, thanks.

Comments

There's an FAQ here which might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

I think you can still apply as a mature student, the only difference should be that you have to pay full fees, as you already have a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

I think for some courses you do not have to pay fee's if they are in a different area. Might be worth talking to the admissions office of your local college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭medeame

I think unless you are 6 months unemployed, that you will pay fees.
    Try your local council or where you hope to apply to be a mature student and they will tell you if you are eligable for free fees.

Anyone over 23 is automatically a mature student.

Good luck, i loved being a mature student, at well over 40 i did masters too, if i can do it, anyone can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

yes you can definitely apply for courses as mature.

you should maybe do a postgrad course because then you might get your fees paid plus a maintenance grant of 3,500 depending on your income last year.

you said you got a pass degree so you should be at level 7. however if it was a level 8 honours degree course you did and you got a pass degree because you got less than 45% in your finals then you might have to pay fees on a level 8 higher diploma.

you could also do a 1 year add on honours degree at level 8 offered by the ITs

basically you can't get fees paid for a level you have already studied (even if you didn't pass it). and the course would have to be full time to get fees paid

all courses listed on www.qualifax.ie

with your pass degree you could become a maths teacher in england. do a 2 year conversion course and get about 10,000 euro a year while training. dont think you can teach in ireland then though cos teaching council here much stricter.

best of luck

• Advertisement

oh yeah theres also level 9 post graduate diplomas and masters in which depending on income you would get fees paid up to about 5000 and maintenance grant 3500 but i dont know if you can jump from level 7 to level 9. i'd say you could if you had relevant experience.

there is 'independent' and 'dependent' mature then. think that depends on who you are living with

and why may i ask have u got 33 after your name? :D

I'd imagine he'd be 35 by now, given when the thread was posted :)

/OK, I thought that'd be funny but then I re-read his post and he said he was 27. Suspiciouser and suspiciouser...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

as long as your over 23 you are afaik!!

haha 2 years ago. dats hilarious. guess he's sorted by now :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement