Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Photography Website - Feedback and Improvement advice requested

Options
  • 20-09-2006 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭

I have just finished a site that i put together for displaying my photography and would be grateful of any comments, opinions etc. My main aim was to make it easily manageable with a good simplistic design. The address is http://www.thetrueview.com All feedback is welcomed.

Thanks,

FreeAnd..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

the content is 99% images so I think the site could benefit from flash a lot. no page reloads etc. could use XML - have some nice transition effects with tooltips explaining the images on hover etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭vito

Yeah that's a nice site - looks good, easy to use and does what it says on the tin.

Watch out for the guestbook - very likely to attract spambots.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

nice site !

if interested ....

a nice flash gallery:
    http://slideshowpro.net/

a nice alternative to flash
    http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/

Good luck
    Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Yeah I like it. Simple. Im actually working on a site for a photographer atm. Has anyone tried this in dial up? The use of the large images as the background is probably killing users on dial up.

I'm pretty sure no one on dial-up has tested that site ;)

Homepage images took about 3 seconds on a 3mb line soo.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Thanks everyone for the replies, I am not too concerned about dial up as there is no way the largest images could be downloaded on anything other than broadband. I must look into compressing the homepage images as currently they are highest quality Jpegs.

The homepage image is only 200kb and there is only the one image. I must make this a bit smaller and possibly compress everything else a bit more.

Just one other thing, does anyone know why in firefox, when the page is larger than the screen the page seems to move slightly left. This does not happen in IE just in firefox.

Thanks again everyone for checking out the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭7aken

id recommend a captcha script for your guestbook. it will fill up with 'v1@gra' pretty quickly methinks. layout is nice and clean but a tad dark.

7aken wrote:
    id recommend a captcha script for your guestbook. it will fill up with 'v1@gra' pretty quickly methinks.

If you are interested in how captcha's days may be numbered you may want to take a look at this:

http://sam.****/pwntcha/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Thanks for the advice, i compressed all of the images on the site except for the photos when viewing at their largest. I will also look into setting up something for the guestbook to keep the spambots away. I need to update the style for the guestbook anyway.

You could try the Bad Behaviour plugin for wordpress - you can install it on any php page and it really does a good job of blocking many bots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

hey Free
    good site!!

i remember having set up a guest book for someone a few years back and we got spammed to death and actually got the guestbook hijacked at one stage. It was mostly affiliate program spammers for the gambling places and of course the old favourites the wonder drug and bigger appendages etc. :eek:

eventually i got a script where the visitor had to answer a simple question on the sites home page before they could post. It worked a treat never got any bots ever again, still doing good. It was customisable so you could change the question - could be anything the third line fourth word on the home page or the colour of the logo etc.

Advertisement