Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Music Making

• 20-09-2006 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hey,
    Im looking for some help and advice. I used to have a copy of Fruitty Loops pro, I loved it. Ever since then Ive wanted to get serious about producin music from home. I was goin to do a sound recording course but never 1 got the money 2 had the time. I reckon if I got the right equipment and programmes I could learn quick enough. Im gonna come into a bit of money soon and Id like to put it into music making. What better hobby could you have.

So if anybody could tell me what equipment i need and what programmes I need to set up a class home recordin studio?
    Id be greatful.
    Tks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I'd just getting a load of softsynths, a host program that you know, a few decent effects and a load of samples and just go from there. Theres no point investing now if you dunno how to use the stuff or know if you really want to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 waximus

Thanks Anima,

Any suggestions for a host programme?Probably Reason. I used fruity loops and it was so easy to use. But reason, I tried a trial version and I hadnt got a bog what I was looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lucifers303

Your host program has to be Ableton Live 5. It rocks, was rcommended to me from a mate at work who was told about it by a producer here up north. I have been using it for about a couple of Months now tho still much to learn. You should be able to download a version via Limewire/Torrents sites etc. As far as soft synths goes try the following VST plug-ins
    Vanguard
    Native Instruments FM7
    rgc audio z3ta+
    Absynth
    Luxonix Ravity
    Steinberg Hypersonic
    Again these will avalable via FTP / Torrents.
    Good Luck Dude!:cool:

Forgot to mention some Ableton Live users:
    Pete Tong, Coldcut, Dylan Rhymes, Shaun Pelton and I read that liam Howlett did most of Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned using Ableton Live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Forgot to mention some Ableton Live users:
    Pete Tong, Coldcut, Dylan Rhymes, Shaun Pelton and I read that liam Howlett did most of Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned using Ableton Live.

Howlett sketched out the ideas in Reason and then used Pro Tools (I think) in conjunction with proper analogue synths. Not to say that Ableton Live isn't a great program.

If you want to go Legit you should buy a little M-audio keyboard controller - they should cost about e100-200 - and this will come with a slightly stripped down version of Ableton Live (Ableton Live Lite) which should be more than enough to get to grips with. Download some free samples and vst's/vsti's and you're away :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ableton is absolutely horrible for production, really is useless imo

superb for the live thing tho

Helix wrote:
    ableton is absolutely horrible for production, really is useless imo

superb for the live thing tho
    What version of Live were u using? Myself and others ive spoken to think Live 5 really is the puppies parts, suppose its up to the individual really. What would u recommend Helix?

I stand corrected jimi t your're right it was Reason and a midi controller keyboard is a must. I use the CME UF6 61 key cost £155 from dolphin music it has assignable sliders, knobs and buttons for your effects etc ,I bought it after checking out the reviews it got on some sites and certainly im well impressed.

i use live 5, just think its horrible for production

i use cubase sx2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

Get a decent soundcard from someone like m-audio, actually native instruments are making them now and theyre meant to be pretty good, get a midi controller keyboard like the korg microkontrol or something, for sequencing get something like cubase or sonar, also reason is is great but only good when used in conjunction with a dedicated sequencer, for softsynths ya cant go wrong with the native instruments stuff, linplug, rgc audio.
    For fx your best bet is WAVES gear or PSP.
    And most importantly if you cant already learn how to play the keyboard and also bit about music theory, it will save you hours of trial and error and dull sounding repetitive tunes,
    Buy a copy of computermusic magazine its great for learning the ropes lots of reviews tutorials etc, good luck!! :)

Hey,

Thanks for the advice, Theres a lot of suggestions there so I have my work cut out for me. Gonna go visit a few of them sites now. Its probably gonna take me a few weeks to get myself sorted but Ill let you all know how I get on. Im sure Ill have plenty more questions. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

If you want to learn synthesis and general kind of sound design, I'd suggest looking at the soundonsound site here: http://www.soundonsound.com/search?page=3&Section=8&Subject=12

Helix wrote:
    i use live 5, just think its horrible for production

i use cubase sx2

Only thing I'll say there is that Live is a LOT more intuitive and has a far better learning curve than cubase - as a beginners app the best choice would be something like Sony ACID or Ableton Live by far, and out of those two I think Live would offer the most user-friendly interface for learning the ropes - plus it comes packaged with most of the M-Audio gear so it's a single purchase for hours of fun :)

i dunno, i found it quite the opposite to be honest

probably coz ive been working with cubase for 4 years now, and before that reason since late 00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Alan Smith

Ableton Live is the way too go as someone said above you will find them on a torrent site avoid limewire though :P

Personally im using ableton and fl
    I tried suing cubase but found it very ocnfusing also if your into mixing up your tracks ableton will do it all for you

Hi all,

Yea appleton is very good. Theyve good tutorials so I reckon I could put together a track. Only problem is my pc, it keeps stalling. But Ill keep learning cause Ill be gettin a new system soon.

Thanks for your advise lads.

Be sure to get your hands on the Crystal VSTi from kvraudio or a similar site. It's as good as it gets for a free VSTi. Here's a quick demo I knocked up yesterday using one of the presets

http://www.geocities.com/synthi_t/SwirlyQ-CrysalVST.mp3

Advertisement