Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Set Notation symbols at JC level

• 20-09-2006 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

Seem to be different symbols used for the following

Complement ' or - ( on top of letter)

Number of elements in a set n or #

A less B is A\B or A/B

Anyone any thoughts.

In my childs case the book says one and the teacher says the other.

What will the examiners look for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I have never seen - on top of a letter denoting compliment, but if it's in a Junior Cert syllabus book I'm sure it's correct, though I've never seen anything like it on exam papers either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Linkdude

Looking at the exam papers I have it says \ is less. I haven't looked into much else.

Though I'd say the examiners take the different notations into account when correcting papers, so it probably doesn't matter too much. But if I had to go with anything it'd probably be the book.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Go by what is on the examination papers, not text books.

Text books can be published by anyone and do NOT have to be approved by the SEC or Department. Examination papers do - the real thing, not 'mock' papers, many of which have had major errors in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Linkdude

I just took a look through a few of the past JC exam papers. From what I gather, it should be what I've listed below.

# = Cardinal number/number of elements
    \ = Less
    ' = Complement

I hope it helps.

Advertisement