Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Helene shows an interest in Galway :(

Options
  • 20-09-2006 4:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Unlike Gordon and Florence Helene is a Category 2 LARGE Hurricane and is also meandering about in the Atlantic and not showing any sign of heading for the deep south trailer parks where these things belong. Damn !

Keep an eye on this map

144553W_sm.gif

and keep an eye on this 9 day chart on wetterzentrale which currently indicates a strike next wednesday. It would be like today and tuesday rolled up together....and it surely was wet in Galway on Tuesday when the first bit of Hurricane Florence came in.

avnpanel1.gif

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Run this 5 day sequence from the BBC website (control at bottom left)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast/pressure/#no_url

It shows a DIRECT HIT from the remnants of Helene on Tuesday next. Helene is a big (and very wet) Hurricane . I do not think the tides are exceptionally high next week though .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

just when i'm coming back into the county too. dammit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

SWEET!

This is a good thing from a kayaking perspective. Sucks to be... well, pretty much everyone else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

Pardon my ignorance, but what do all those maps mean? Will it be a hurricane in Galway?

No. It will not be a hurricane by then, bit like last night maybe. Kayak Heaven indeed :D

When I said large I meant LARGE . This is as big as Florence and Gordon together and if it moves slowly for a few days as it passes it will rain as much as it did this week, if not more.

See this current picture of her.

vis-l.jpg

• Advertisement

The hit is today and tomorrow. Expect floods. The worst of it is in North Galway and Mayo and Donegal so far . fairly real time radar is here

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

click animation to get the picture

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sponge Bob wrote:
    http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

click animation to get the picture
    Yeah, rained a bit around lunch time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

.... Whoa...... we're still alive!

Helene will be coming back for the weekend, look at the 9 day chart :(

There is one more tropical storm out there, not quite a hurricane but it may arrive around the next exceptionally high tide at the end of next week with some force :(

204533.gif

It will have a name by tomorrow, Isaac .

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Helene will be coming back for the weekend, look at the 9 day chart :(

Did she even visit us yesterday? It was rainy and windy, but hmm, isn't it always like this in the autumns?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

sigh typical woman gonna call 100% blows us all off and then says yeah i might be around for the weekend though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

ba dum.... tisch.

Spongebob, You're just showing off your knowledge of geography!
    *prepares for a sunny saturday*

Advertisement